Ex-Ian | 160 mph 937 mb peak | Historic and Catastrophic Damage in Florida | TCR Upgrades Ian to Category 5

Iceresistance

On 9/30/2022 at 12:43 PM, MidwestWX said:

We can have perfect messaging for the threats of any particular storm and the public will acknowledge it, but it's not as easy for some to take action. I get it's frustrating. We're always working to improve that disconnect and I know we've spent resources to understand the "why". 

We never want to see fatalities. 

I was talking to my manager about the hurricane yesterday and I stated that yes those that can leave and don’t aren’t silly especially with this magnitude of storm but it’s not so easy for some. I told her if I had to just up and leave right now it would be hard. Can I afford a plane ticket right now. Can I afford the potential hundreds in gas to travel to a families residence in another state, or if I don’t have family can I afford the gas and the lodging to put me up for a few days. It would admittedly be difficult for me but my wife and I could manage but I know a lot of people probably cannot.

13 minutes ago, Snow____ said:

I was talking to my manager about the hurricane yesterday and I stated that yes those that can leave and don’t aren’t silly especially with this magnitude of storm but it’s not so easy for some. I told her if I had to just up and leave right now it would be hard. Can I afford a plane ticket right now. Can I afford the potential hundreds in gas to travel to a families residence in another state, or if I don’t have family can I afford the gas and the lodging to put me up for a few days. It would admittedly be difficult for me but my wife and I could manage but I know a lot of people probably cannot.

I’m not surprised when I see stuff like this with people saying they can’t afford to leave. I believe the number is somewhere around 55-60% can’t even cover an emergency expense of $1000 in cash. It always amazes me, but that vast majority of this country lives paycheck to paycheck for lots of reasons.

This kind of stuff and former jobs always reminds me how fortunate I really am, it would be an inconvenience but can work remotely and continue as normal while others simply don’t have that luxury.

• THUMBS UP 1

• The title was changed to Ex-Ian | 155 mph 936 mb peak | Historic and Catastrophic Damage in Florida
  • Meteorologist

Meteorologically speaking, what makes Ian so scary is that it underwent ERC and then rapidly intensified. I remember I went to bed at like 2am and it was in the ERC process at like 130 mph, I woke up at 8am and it was at 155 mph. 

This adds fuel to the terrifying trend of hurricanes rapidly intensifying at or near landfall. 

• THUMBS UP 3

2 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Meteorologically speaking, what makes Ian so scary is that it underwent ERC and then rapidly intensified. I remember I went to bed at like 2am and it was in the ERC process at like 130 mph, I woke up at 8am and it was at 155 mph. 

This adds fuel to the terrifying trend of hurricanes rapidly intensifying at or near landfall. 

I felt like the erc was way too early to be a good thing. I got the sense it was going to complete way before landfall with how slow it was moving. But to see this on the borderline of cat 5 with a 40 mile eye was freakin surreal. 

Unfortunately I don't think we are done with this new standard for RI. The heat in these waters is ridiculous. This storm breathed so well it had outflow into the north pole. With warm water for fuel the sky really is the limit. 

• LIKE 1

3 hours ago, StretchCT said:

What is crazy is that at the beginning when the future Ian was the coast of South America, it has the middle of the cone hitting the Ft. Meyers area.  As time went on, the cone moved more north and west and Fort Meyers was almost out of the cone area at one point, before things trended back to the east.  

Edited by TheRex

• Moderators

I had posted the aerials from NOAA's flyover and commented it didn't look to bad from a structural standpoint, pointing out it didn't capture the flood damage.  Someone else also pointed that out.  Turns out the surge wrecked a lot of first stories.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/its-like-a-war-zone-crisis-deepens-in-aftermath-of-hurricane-ian/1257775

1 hour ago, TheRex said:

What is crazy is that at the beginning when the future Ian was the coast of South America, it has the middle of the cone hitting the Ft. Meyers area.  As time went on, the cone moved more north and west and Fort Meyers was almost out of the cone area at one point, before things trended back to the east.  

I've seen this before somewhere....hold on....almost got it....

• Meteorologist

In far more grim news... Florida has hit the 100 fatality mark. To make it worse, Florida state officials report 10,000 missing.

know that number is WAY overblown because there are always names that are listed multiple times. Additionally, I wonder what the criteria is for 'missing', since there's still a lot of people that have no way of contacting others. Regardless, it shows you the scale of the tragedy such that there are *still* thousands of people that don't know if their friend/family member is alive due to, at the very least, a loss of communication. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/03/hurricane-ian-cost-death-toll-florida

Google search shows that it's not just Guardian reporting this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=10%2C000+missing+hurricane+ian&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS970US971&oq=10%2C000+missing+hurricane+ian&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l3j33i22i29i30l5.6602j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • SAD 3

4 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

In far more grim news... Florida has hit the 100 fatality mark. To make it worse, Florida state officials report 10,000 missing.

know that number is WAY overblown because there are always names that are listed multiple times. Additionally, I wonder what the criteria is for 'missing', since there's still a lot of people that have no way of contacting others. Regardless, it shows you the scale of the tragedy such that there are *still* thousands of people that don't know if their friend/family member is alive due to, at the very least, a loss of communication. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/03/hurricane-ian-cost-death-toll-florida

Google search shows that it's not just Guardian reporting this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=10%2C000+missing+hurricane+ian&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS970US971&oq=10%2C000+missing+hurricane+ian&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l3j33i22i29i30l5.6602j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yes but no matter what a fair amount of those 10000 are probably gone. Makes that sheriff seem more credible. Very sad. Shows that even in these modern times you can't play around with these kind of storms.  

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, 1816 said:

Yes but no matter what a fair amount of those 10000 are probably gone. Makes that sheriff seem more credible. Very sad. Shows that even in these modern times you can't play around with these kind of storms.  

Right... even if 1-of-100 of those 10,000 missing are gone, that brings us up to at least 200 dead. 

As far as I'm aware, and feel free to correct me if I missed something, but this is already the second most deadly hurricane behind Katrina in the 21st century. IMO, the death toll is extremely unlikely to reach Katrina's, but I think this will comfortably sit in second place in the modern era of forecasting (i.e., since 1980 or so).

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • THUMBS UP 1