Ex-Ian | 160 mph 937 mb peak | Historic and Catastrophic Damage in Florida | TCR Upgrades Ian to Category 5

Iceresistance

7 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

Side Note - Some of what I do involves virtual Insurance Inspections. I just so happen to have had one set up for Naples, FL today and they actually just called to confirm...

Good day for it.  “Now I need you to go up on the roof for me with a camera.  No, I’m not kidding.”

• LAUGH 4

Lightning uptick on the northern end of the eye wall too 

Edit: do you think they won’t issue this a cat 5 and then upgrade later after data come in so they don’t completely freak the public out. They’ve done that before 

32C17A94-4887-4773-B0DD-8D40789EECD5.png

Edited by Hassaywx1223

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Burr said:

Super-closeup…

DBEE55F9-8C40-41FF-8939-52BCDE144E68.gif

I can't seem to save gifs on my phone from this site, but these are the highest resolution I believe.

https://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/loop.asp?data_folder=goes-16/mesoscale_01_band_02_sector_05&width=1000&height=1000&number_of_images_to_display=60&loop_speed_ms=80

• WOW 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Lightning uptick on the northern end of the eye wall too 

Edit: do you think they won’t issue this a cat 5 and then upgrade later after data come in so they don’t completely freak the public out. They’ve done that before 

32C17A94-4887-4773-B0DD-8D40789EECD5.png

They have two vortex messages with this being 137kts which is the threshold. Plenty of radar support as well.  

• LIKE 1

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Hassaywx1223 said:

Probably too late for anyone in the direct path, but the fact that they've fidgeted around the 155mph/157mph declaration (e.g. Michael) in the past only to retroactively declare cat 5 has always been baffling to me.  

Maybe they are saving the cat 5 currency for storms of the near future?

Edit: I guess I'll add if you're the type of person not evacuating an outlying key for a Cat 4 would it really change your mind if it was technically a Cat 5? Sadly, probably not. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 3