Ex-Ian | 160 mph 937 mb peak | Historic and Catastrophic Damage in Florida | TCR Upgrades Ian to Category 5

Iceresistance

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Poco said:

9DF73B60-AA2B-48BD-9C74-E016DFFB9DFD.thumb.gif.c0eb6bd59741234155cc4cd96cdc9de8.gif

little bit of rotation evident at the lower levels 

Looks like a ton of northerly shear.  Perhaps from Fiona's outflow? It might be making it down there and once she pulls away could help develop this one. 

goes16_wv-mid_watl.thumb.gif.f4e6b7a89d6ec2692e42654e474a855a.gif

726520502_ScreenShot2022-09-22at12_12_15PM.thumb.png.031de1220150aed97f4607407756230b.png

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, StretchCT said:

Perhaps from Fiona's outflow? It might be making it down there and once she pulls away could help develop this one. 

This was the graphic I was looking for.  Might be from the ULL east of the islands too, or a combo.  

981357513_ScreenShot2022-09-22at1_20_16PM.thumb.png.b46e6c2e3d1c3a0204277dfb79e7edcc.png

or this one

272645635_ScreenShot2022-09-22at1_23_08PM.thumb.png.a7bd51f4999273372c30782a594ea86a.png

Edited by StretchCT

• The title was changed to 98L | High Ceiling potential | 80/90%
  • Meteorologist

A friend in North Carolina already texted me asking about "the hurricane". I assumed he meant Fiona because this storm isn't even named yet, but he did mean this one because I guess he's going to a Clemson game next Saturday. 

So I guess the cat has been let out of the bag in the local media in North Carolina. A little early, but I don't see a hurricane not verifying from this tropical wave.

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

7 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

A friend in North Carolina already texted me asking about "the hurricane". I assumed he meant Fiona because this storm isn't even named yet, but he did mean this one because I guess he's going to a Clemson game next Saturday. 

So I guess the cat has been let out of the bag in the local media in North Carolina. A little early, but I don't see a hurricane not verifying from this tropical wave.

With Fiona being a problem only for shipping traffic right now I understand this. 98L is looking like a very high impact storm potentially for multiple US areas. I'm a little worried about my neck of the woods already after this thing gets done thrashing Pensacola or whatever. We can get catastrophic flooding with tropical systems like this as well as an odd tornado or few depending where it tracks. 

14 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

I created a Twitter thread discussing model bias and just some general thoughts about 98L. 

I don't know if you agree but I believe most models have an underestimating bias as far as intensity goes. If they are showing weakening due to factors, then they can definitely get it right. But if it's projecting a moderate or moderately strong storm without any obvious reason for limiting the intensity they seem to miss badly quite often. And those storms go freaking bonkers usually. 

• Meteorologist
7 minutes ago, 1816 said:

I don't know if you agree but I believe most models have an underestimating bias as far as intensity goes. If they are showing weakening due to factors, then they can definitely get it right. But if it's projecting a moderate or moderately strong storm without any obvious reason for limiting the intensity they seem to miss badly quite often. And those storms go freaking bonkers usually. 

Yup, intensity forecasting is still something we're not great at. I'm definitely concerned that this thing could blow up big time if it moves into the Northwest Caribbean and into the Yucatan Channel. Models are showing some absolutely amazing upper level ventilation with the storm in that area. 

• LIKE 2

• Meteorologist

An important aspect of rapid intensification is the depth of a warm pool. Obviously, the Caribbean is ready for takeoff... but the GoM is still pretty primed.

I don't know exactly what GFS considers with oceanic heat aside from SSTs, but I have questions about how deep the ocean temps go for the model, and how reliable it is. I'm more inclined to believe tropical models are better at handling RI. So, seeing how deep the GFS is getting with this storm under this assumption, it's concerning. 

Shear still seems to be the limiting factor for coastal impact... but if GFS is underestimating this already intense storm, then the strength at landfall could still be quite significant.

image.png.ae60d8273101b5f553dd12f6afdc83e9.png

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

An important aspect of rapid intensification is the depth of a warm pool. Obviously, the Caribbean is ready for takeoff... but the GoM is still pretty primed.

I don't know exactly what GFS considers with oceanic heat aside from SSTs, but I have questions about how deep the ocean temps go for the model, and how reliable it is. I'm more inclined to believe tropical models are better at handling RI. So, seeing how deep the GFS is getting with this storm under this assumption, it's concerning. 

Shear still seems to be the limiting factor for coastal impact... but if GFS is underestimating this already intense storm, then the strength at landfall could still be quite significant.

Assuming this heads towards the Florida Panhandle or northern Gulf landfall intensity will almost not matter. There's a good chance that this could "only" be a high end Cat-2  at landfall but in the scenario of this storm bombing out in the Caribbean and Gulf that damage is already done. We're looking at a potential Ike situation where a Cat-2 produced a 20+ foot storm surge.  

• LIKE 2

• The title was changed to 98L | High Ceiling potential | 90/90%
39 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

If Fiona has been able to maintain 130 mph/932mb over the "modest" ocean heat content north of the Bahama  in contrast to what's in the Caribbean, then things are going to be certainly dicey with 98L

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
2 hours ago, Ingyball said:

That's an absolutely giant storm lol

hwrf_satIR_98L_22 (1).png

Interesting aspect with the hurricane moving into the cold front. Pretty similar to Fiona moving into the cold front soon. Probably not too uncommon for hurricanes to merge with a cold front, but pretty crazy to have it happen twice in such quick succession. Especially with it happening just before landfall both times.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_atl_fh6-180.gif

• LIKE 1

• Admin
5 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Pretty similar track to Hurricane Charley. Certainly a precedent for RI coming soon off western Cuba.

image.png.50f9883f316cb6363c9779cc3fea69ba.png

There are situations where shear can actually cause RI in hurricanes.

Currently, it appears the convection is out running the low level circulation, but they look like they are trying to align.

ezgif-5-c5d0e6d326.gif.060b2a8ff198d03b7d19848edb5dfb26.gif