Ex-Ian | 160 mph 937 mb peak | Historic and Catastrophic Damage in Florida | TCR Upgrades Ian to Category 5

Iceresistance

• The title was changed to Ian | 120 mph 955 mb | Getting stronger again

I'm not into tornados as much as a lot of you so I'm always thinking to myself in the back of the head why do these guys ooh and aaah over these things that destroy everyone's shit. But I'm starting to understand. This hurricane is truly a sight to behold. 

• THUMBS UP 1

1 minute ago, 1816 said:

I'm not into tornados as much as a lot of you so I'm always thinking to myself in the back of the head why do these guys ooh and aaah over these things that destroy everyone's shit. But I'm starting to understand. This hurricane is truly a sight to behold. 

It is very impressive.  Sadly it is destructive. 

Hurricane Ian

Tropical Cyclone Update

NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092022

300 PM EDT Tue Sep 27 2022

...3 PM EDT HURRICANE IAN POSITION UPDATE...

Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate the minimum pressure has decreased to 952 mb (28.11 in).

SUMMARY OF 300 PM EDT...1900 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...23.7N 83.3W ABOUT 255 MI...410 KM S OF SARASOTA FLORIDA ABOUT 75 MI...120 KM SSW OF THE DRY TORTUGAS

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...120 MPH... 195 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...N OR 10 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...952 MB ...28.11 INCHES

• The title was changed to Ian | 120 mph 952 mb | Getting stronger again
  • Meteorologist

Comparison of near-landfall strength and location between GFS and Euro...

GFS is 12 hours slower than Euro. Euro is stronger at near-landfall. Near-landfall location isn't too far off. 

GFS drops more precip by far. 

Even though GFS is weaker, I'd say that is the more deadly and possibly costly scenario. Storm surge causes nearly half of hurricane-related deaths (49%), and GFS would provide more time to whip up some storm surge. Also, adding more rain on top of that only exacerbates the situation because flooding makes up for 27% of hurricane deaths.

image.thumb.png.22a976d7522aeebf3a1ddf81ff32e739.png

image.thumb.png.82309bfe879071ec00a66e30b0f4a01d.png

image.thumb.png.ed230bf1db3312aebbb14c487f2da207.png

image.thumb.png.ef0ff6b16e58547a07bef7aefc554c7c.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • SHOCKED 1

33 minutes ago, 1816 said:

No one is rooting or wanting death and destruction, but mother nature is going to do whatever she wants and it's cool we can track and 'forecast' close to what is going to occur. Imagine back in the day not knowing this thing is coming for you and having to prepare when the tides are rising and weather deteriorating quickly, couldn't imagine.

• LIKE 1

5 minutes ago, LUCC said:

No one is rooting or wanting death and destruction, but mother nature is going to do whatever she wants and it's cool we can track and 'forecast' close to what is going to occur. Imagine back in the day not knowing this thing is coming for you and having to prepare when the tides are rising and weather deteriorating quickly, couldn't imagine.

I don't guess there's a whole lot they could have done anyway. Not like they could have run to Walmart for beer and water. No home depot for plywood either 😂

The ones I think about are the ones on ships with only sails for propulsion. Nightmare fuel. 

• Meteorologist
Just now, StretchCT said:

Using the cesium option again as you can put multiple flights in.  This gives a good picture of strengthening and motion.  Center fixes from 15:13Z to 18:59Z.

183027092_ScreenShot2022-09-27at3_23_11PM.thumb.png.9924c6d6b12f0a3c662fc16d04563718.png

I love how chaotic those wind barbs get haha. That is very helpful though