Fiona | 130 mph and 932 mb peak | Extremely powerful Bomb Cyclone

Iceresistance

• Admin
1 hour ago, Tater said:

Maintenance is absolutely an issue, but I think it would be less of an issue than constant blackouts. Of course, by now most folks have some combo of generators, solar panels, fresh water storage, and so forth, so maybe coping with blackouts is manageable. However, an entire island running on generator power quickly becomes an air quality/respiratory issue.

The steel and concrete power poles fared better, though not 100% reliable. Its possible that some combination of those poles with tighter spacing and reinforced cables could decrease the chances of problems. However  watching the aftermath of Dorian and seeing footage from Josh Morgerman showing leveled reinforced concrete walls made me realize the destructive power of a Cat 5 hurricane, and I don't think any above ground solution is a "permanent" fix. Unfortunately we all know that proper infrastructure investments are unlikely and things will just be patched together between storms. It's a political problem, not an engineering problem.

100%. Corruption is corruption. 

Also, while we are on this subject: the clips below are/were literally my worst nightmare as a responder. First one especially. 

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx0CR7q1KY3rGENrUsoIRkUNAFRziwPdGi

https://youtu.be/IQxG_ZcseYo

https://youtu.be/QK5hMcv1x-w

• LIKE 1

• Admin
44 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

We need to bury lines on the east coast and California too. Not going to happen. I lose power typically multiple times a year. Once or twice for “maintenance “ once or twice for a car vs utility pole. These are typically short periods, under a couple of hours.  Wind, snow or ice will take me offline for days. I live in one of the wealthiest counties in one of the wealthiest countries. We don’t get it right here, how are other areas going to do it. 

Unfortunately... It really comes down to $$$

• THUMBS UP 1

• The title was changed to Fiona | 115 mph 960 mb | First Major of the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season
  • Admin
1 hour ago, StretchCT said:

We need to bury lines on the east coast and California too. Not going to happen. I lose power typically multiple times a year. Once or twice for “maintenance “ once or twice for a car vs utility pole. These are typically short periods, under a couple of hours.  Wind, snow or ice will take me offline for days. I live in one of the wealthiest counties in one of the wealthiest countries. We don’t get it right here, how are other areas going to do it. 

If there was only a way to get power from the sun.

🪄

• LAUGH 2

2 hours ago, StretchCT said:

Problem is we're too busy burying other things like Hoffa, proof, treasure, etc....  No room for something logical and that would be useful and helpful for all.

43 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

If there was only a way to get power from the sun.

🪄

There is a huge problem with that.  Sun revolves around the earth and since the earth is rectangular and flat, it does not stay in one spot for very long to give us any power.

• LAUGH 4

• Admin
5 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

Whatever shear was impinging the west side is losing as the storm has expanded on that side. Also seems to be moving more west than north

goes16_vis_07L_202209201437.thumb.gif.5b1706e433e55e39eb2aa01db6931068.gif

Was thinking the same, looks almost due west last 40 minutes.

ezgif-1-6857b2d08a.gif.3af62acabcae4decb1a12bf4d1e3f91b.gif

• SHOCKED 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

34 minutes ago, clm said:

Turks and Caicos getting the full brunt of it.

image.thumb.png.4a546a1744e5fd7903366e993f2ab154.png

Grace Bay - regularly listed as the #1 beach in the world - is on the north shore of the little ‘U’. Must be getting huge surf over the reef… 

• THUMBS UP 1

BULLETIN Hurricane Fiona Intermediate Advisory Number 25A NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL  AL072022 200 PM EDT Tue Sep 20 2022

...FIONA CONTINUES TO BRING HURRICANE CONDITIONS TO PORTIONS OF THE TURKS AND CAICOS... SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...

INFORMATION

-----------------------------------------
LOCATION...22.3N 71.7W ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM NNE OF NORTH CAICOS ISLAND ABOUT 810 MI...1305 KM SSW OF BERMUDA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH... 185 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT... NNW OR 330 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...959 MB... 28.32 INCHES

Edited by Burr

• The title was changed to Fiona | 115 mph 959 mb | First Major of the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season
  • Admin
1 hour ago, clm said:

Is it me or is it starting to take a more northerly direction?  At least that is what I see when looking at the eye.

Looks like it wobbed north, but here's a 3 hour loop, hasn't moved much.  Good outflow developing, you can see the gravity waves propagating out from the center, as well as those radial striations seen in strong storms.

ezgif-3-b4f4f4ea66.gif.053880b8d94fc7eded796b1079ac9942.gif

• LIKE 2
  • THANKS 1