Fiona | 130 mph and 932 mb peak | Extremely powerful Bomb Cyclone

Iceresistance

I’ve been told by a family friend with property on Prince Edward Island that the entire island has no power.

Their barn, which has been on the property for ~140 years:

C025BC9A-F869-4227-8CE2-63B6280184A4.jpeg

• SAD 6

• Admin

Guessing this 52mph gust recorded by NWS Caribou is what cost me a tree. While we do see winds like this in the winter, not with full leaves. 

My fine poplar friend.  I remember when you were but a wee sapling thirty odd years ago. RIP.

Screenshot 2022-09-24 at 11.58.41 AM.png

• SAD 6

3 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

Guessing this 52mph gust recorded by NWS Caribou is what cost me a tree. While we do see winds like this in the winter, not with full leaves. 

My fine poplar friend.  I remember when you were but a wee sapling thirty odd years ago. RIP.

Screenshot 2022-09-24 at 11.58.41 AM.png

Sad you lost the tree.  Poplars are nice.  Any other damage?  Hope nothing hit the house or cars or horse and buggy.

• THUMBS UP 2

13 minutes ago, Burr said:

I’ve been told by a family friend with property on Prince Edward Island that the entire island has no power.

Their barn, which has been on the property for ~140 years:

C025BC9A-F869-4227-8CE2-63B6280184A4.jpeg

Sad to see that.  Nice barn.  Loved Prince Edward Island when I was there.  Great scenery.

Not surprised entire island is without power.  That is low land there and with the storm there early this morning at high tide, doesn't stand a chance.  Fiona was a beast.

• Admin
23 minutes ago, clm said:

Sad you lost the tree.  Poplars are nice.  Any other damage?  Hope nothing hit the house or cars or horse and buggy.

Thankfully fell away from the house although it murdered a 3 year old kieffer pear tree - falling straight on to it.

To be fair, I'm really on the northern extent of the kieffer range and it wasn't looking too healthy. 🙂

• THUMBS UP 2

• Moderators

Somehow this just feels worse than something similar along the Gulf Coast or a tropical island where you expect this sort of thing and build accordingly. I know where I live couldn't handle it. The June 2012 derecho with 60-80 mph winds left many in our area without power for a week or more and damaged many buildings. Stronger winds of longer duration would be absolutely devastating, as structures are not designed to withstand that.