August 19-?, 2022 | Severe Weather

ClicheVortex2014

1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

Not as bad as mine, when they were so dodgy of me for SEVERAL DAYS IN A ROW!

I'm sorry. I guess many are in need of rain. Last two weeks, we've maybe picked up .50" total QPF. 

And really these storms missing us makes for some really good scenic views.

20220920_191913.jpg

20220920_192627.jpg

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

All my complaining and were getting hit with some good boomers tonight. Second main batch coming through. FAT raindrops.  

If it'll hold, which I'm hoping it will... Bowling Green to the shoreline towards Sandusky looks like they will get this end line. This will be a very quick .5"-1"  for many. 

Screenshot_20220920-224115_RadarScope.jpg

44 minutes ago, NWOhioChaser said:

All my complaining and were getting hit with some good boomers tonight. Second main batch coming through. FAT raindrops.  

If it'll hold, which I'm hoping it will... Bowling Green to the shoreline towards Sandusky looks like they will get this end line. This will be a very quick .5"-1"  for many. 

Screenshot_20220920-224115_RadarScope.jpg

I'm trying to video the lightning right now. 

• Meteorologist
2 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Today is starting to look like a bust

Cap became too strong as a result of the morning storms upstream.

Meanwhile, looks like SW OH/SE IN stole the day.

Crazy strong upper-level winds. The anvils are getting bullied.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-regional-midwest-truecolor-23_11Z-20220921_map_-24-1n-5-100.gif

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 2

• Meteorologist

Tornadic supercell in... Idaho.

image.thumb.png.556d183032664f2132045e1dae8252f6.png

Very rare. But when you have a western trough like this, it's not too surprising. Classic, negatively tilted trough with a very strong jet streak. This is also the time of year when eastern Pacific moisture is most invasive in the western half of the US.

image.thumb.png.bc4d2c1a744d861d5089995f8624c9a1.png

• WOW 1

• Meteorologist
Just now, Iceresistance said:

There is a slight risk for severe storms in that area

Yep, <2% tornado threat via SPC. Certainly reason to believe a supercell could exist, and maybe enough to warrant a tornado warning... but it'd be another thing if a tornado actually touches down. Dry low-levels, low-level shear isn't particularly favorable.

image.png.82ccffd75659696dd8ae79ec1002f87e.png

• Meteorologist

Meaningless now but some 18z soundings earlier. First is from ILN, second is from PIT (Pittsburgh, if you couldn't guess)

Both WFOs saw severe weather in their CWA. I'd say the ILN is most obvious that severe weather is possible, but PIT needed some destabilization which they must've got. In fact, a severe warning is ongoing in extreme E OH even at 03z.

image.thumb.png.76f44038237706b4a0823479ad2af090.png

image.thumb.png.c8b2f4c23fc9be6aa1df8339683f6078.png

This was a generally weak severe weather day yesterday, split into two general eastern areas. Thankfully, as mentioned, I got to see decent lightning and thunder on Monday/Tuesday. I wonder if the better lightning/thunder is gone for the year. When I lived out West, lightning and thunder were pretty much gone, beginning in early September. There was always one surprise day with low CAPE and thunder and maybe graupel.  The dew point is now 42 in Northwest Ohio, and that's the lowest dew point I've felt since I left the Rocky Mountains.

yesterday.gif

Some of the Midwest cooled off from about 100 degrees

sfct_change_024h_obs.conus (1).png

Edited by Chinook

38 minutes ago, Chinook said:

This was a generally weak severe weather day yesterday, split into two general eastern areas. Thankfully, as mentioned, I got to see decent lightning and thunder on Monday/Tuesday. I wonder if the better lightning/thunder is gone for the year. When I lived out West, lightning and thunder were pretty much gone, beginning in early September. There was always one surprise day with low CAPE and thunder and maybe graupel.  The dew point is now 42 in Northwest Ohio, and that's the lowest dew point I've felt since I left the Rocky Mountains.

yesterday.gif

Some of the Midwest cooled off from about 100 degrees

sfct_change_024h_obs.conus (1).png

It never really ends in the OV. We can get good storms anytime of year