Events in Places other than the NEMA/Midwest

StretchCT

1 hour ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

It's a shame extreme wildfires are so incredibly damaging because this is essentially looking at a rotating updraft timelapse and it's fascinating

Counterpoint: are we literally looking at the gates of hell? Is it finally the end times?

• LAUGH 1

• Meteorologist

Unreal to see this. Wildfires ongoing in northern California and Oregon while a tropical storm is approaching southern California. The smoke from the Oregon fires is even getting sucked into the tropical storm.

I mean, all things considered, there's nowhere else on Earth where this juxtaposition could happen. The Southern Plains is a valid argument but to get wildfires like this, you need strong winds, heat, and a drought. I don't think wildfires are too common for most of the hurricane season there. And since you need strong winds to really help create such wildfires, it's gonna be hard to get a TC to follow a pattern conducive to wildfire spread. It may have happened before, but I have doubts. 

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-regional-w_southwest-natcolorfire-02_16Z-20220910_map_-24-1n-5-100.gif

• THUMBS UP 1

• Admin
18 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Very interesting to see a new fire explode and some of the smoke got temporarily diverted to the east. Wonder what happened there.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-local-S_Oregon-natcolorfire-23_16Z-20220909_map_-24-1n-5-100.gif

Looks like it's at a higher altitude. Could it have punched into the stratosphere?

• Meteorologist
2 hours ago, MaineJay said:

Looks like it's at a higher altitude. Could it have punched into the stratosphere?

That makes sense but the estimated current environment shows that, if it was in the stratosphere, the plume would be moving mostly easterly.

Currently it's spreading northeasterly. So it's certainly in the upper troposphere... maybe around 400mb/7-8km

image.png.5a77d5895569493eabb9961c0740f7ea.png

• Meteorologist

Getting some brief pyrocumulus for the first time with this fire (as far as I'm aware)... so it's certainly getting worse.

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-local-S_Oregon-truecolor-21_36Z-20220910_map_-24-1n-5-100.gif

Very not surprised that this pyrocumulus followed after a local burst in fire activity. 

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-local-S_Oregon-natcolorfire-21_51Z-20220910_map_-24-1n-5-100.gif

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

I appreciate the coverage of these fires on here. I can't help but think about how the perception of the fires is affected by the population density and land usage we currently have out west. Fires are beyond  normal and they are an Integral part of keeping the ecosystem healthy. But they have been artificially suppressed for many years to accommodate our habitat and towns and so now the waters are so muddied who can say how much of this is necessary and good versus how much is "evil" climate change. 

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

Easily the most well defined pyrocumulus of this fire

image.thumb.png.efef703705b9edaed33d1e9685ed47c2.png

30 minutes ago, 1816 said:

I appreciate the coverage of these fires on here. I can't help but think about how the perception of the fires is affected by the population density and land usage we currently have out west. Fires are beyond  normal and they are an Integral part of keeping the ecosystem healthy. But they have been artificially suppressed for many years to accommodate our habitat and towns and so now the waters are so muddied who can say how much of this is necessary and good versus how much is "evil" climate change. 

They are normal, but to the extent they've been in the past decade is not normal. Wildfires are usually made from human errors, but the rapid spread has become more extreme because of the human-influenced megadrought. 

The rapid increase of people in the Western US also contributes to the rapid increase of wildfires because, again, humans are the leading cause of starting wildfires. A perfect storm of human influence.

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1

• Admin