August 1-14, 2022 | Heat Wave & Severe Weather

ClicheVortex2014

2 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Can't say the parameters weren't warning us

image.thumb.png.eb2d899ae9fc23471d05d0503607324e.png

strong inflow notch there. I didn't know if anything would pop in the warm sector today. My forecast point for the severe weather game is kind of close to this cell.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Possible tornado here. Looking almost a mile above ground and through some convection so there's validity questions.

image.thumb.png.8787d018a4dd12dab725486df6867174.png

Never mind. Given the radar site is to the north, this is anticyclonic "rotation" and therefore not tornadic in this case. 

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

E SD/W MN storms are a little intense.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ABERDEEN SD
938 PM CDT TUE AUG 2 2022

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0929 PM     TSTM WND GST     4 ENE POINSETT COLONY   44.66N 96.82W
08/02/2022  M79 MPH          DEUEL              SD   MESONET

MESONET STATION 47 BRANDT (SDDOT).

Here are the current plotted dew points (not temperatures) of Mesonet stations (Mesowest web site). I don't specifically ever remember KTOL being above a 76 dew point at any time in history. KTOL only has 73, but hey there are some values over 76 degrees here.

more 79 dew points.jpg

• YUCK 1

2 hours ago, Chinook said:

Here are the current plotted dew points (not temperatures) of Mesonet stations (Mesowest web site). I don't specifically ever remember KTOL being above a 76 dew point at any time in history. KTOL only has 73, but hey there are some values over 76 degrees here.

more 79 dew points.jpg

Air you can wear is an understatement today.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, Chinook said:

St Louis now has 80 degrees with thunderstorms nearby, whereas they had a 97/74/109 a bit earlier (only 48% humidity... and people say "it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity." But that just isn't right.)

Yeah I try to preach how misleading humidity is any time I'm given the opportunity. The worst is when the temp is <60 degrees and with >95% humidity. That doesn't help the public because that makes humidity super misleading.

Normalize dew point.

• Meteorologist
24 minutes ago, btbucks said:

Storms in the area have caused weather delays for the Crew and Clipper games even though the sky above the stadiums are clear.

Looks like there's been lightning less than 30 miles from Columbus. I know public stadiums and other public areas at high risk of lightning impacts (stadiums, water parks, etc) have a radius at which they shut everything down if lightning is detected anywhere within that range.

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

This brings back a lot of memories. There was lots of CAPE in northwest Ohio, and I personally didn't see very much rain or hear noticeable thunder. The MCS was active with a several severe thunderstorm areas in Michigan and at Chicago in the afternoon.  Toledo Express had exactly 58mph wind gusts, so that's a severe report.

Edited by Chinook
  • LIKE 1