August 1-14, 2022 | Heat Wave & Severe Weather

ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist

Storms weren't as widespread as HRRR thought. Especially in SE IN/SW OH. Conditions remain favorable for supercells and tornadoes but there are no definitive signs of strong storm development, and we're well past peak daytime heating.

image.png

19 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Storms weren't as widespread as HRRR thought. Especially in SE IN/SW OH. Conditions remain favorable for supercells and tornadoes but there are no definitive signs of strong storm development, and we're well past peak daytime heating.

image.png

That late morning cluster did us in.

11 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Flood threat is getting serious in Illinois 

Screenshot_20220801-210232_RadarScope.jpg

Not gonna lie, the scanner has been incredibly quiet for a potential flash-flooding event, but it looks like the rain is just going to keep training on my county, getting pretty worried about it

• DISAPPOINTED 1

• Meteorologist

Tall/skinny cape at ILN. Weaker instability than I expected but there's no cap, so that's not the reason why storms failed to develop. 

With 50 knots at 800mb and between 300mb-200mb, we're lucky a little more instability didn't verify. Ultimately, I think subsidence related to the MCV and/or convection to the south and southwest kept storms from developing. But this wind profile is dangerous for August.

image.thumb.png.98ee7177b2847bd62d2180e4a5e083fe.png

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
6 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

Maybe my hot take will come true after all. Not in the area I expected a strong tornado, but to be fair, I didn't specify where it would happen. 😅

• Meteorologist
16 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Tall/skinny cape at ILN. Weaker instability than I expected but there's no cap, so that's not the reason why storms failed to develop. 

With 50 knots at 800mb and between 300mb-200mb, we're lucky a little more instability didn't verify. Ultimately, I think subsidence related to the MCV and/or convection to the south and southwest kept storms from developing. But this wind profile is dangerous for August.

image.thumb.png.98ee7177b2847bd62d2180e4a5e083fe.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

On 7/31/2022 at 3:57 PM, snowlover2 said:

18z HRRR is pretty crazy. Highest total i came across just west of Dayton is 9.54" which falls in less than 5 hours!

49b26cdc-d60a-409b-bf5a-e7cbb5871ded.gif

qpf_acc.us_mw.png

5" to 9" from training storms has happened near Olney Illinois. So I guess the HRRR did pick up on possible flash flood/training, just not the right area.

18 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Not only was this event focused much further west than expected, it's lasting longer than expected. Thankfully the flash flooding potential of the event hasn't verified.

image.thumb.png.d7f8c19017c43989ee8e9b7008244619.png

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-subregional-OH_RV-14-04_06Z-20220802_map_-24-1n-5-100.gif

There was some serious flooding last night just to the northwest of me where up to 10 inches fell, pretty narrow swath though, and the flooding has been mostly rural

Edited by Neoncyclone
  • LIKE 1