August 1-14, 2022 | Heat Wave & Severe Weather

ClicheVortex2014

2 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

If the quality of radars we have on Radarscope is indeed the best quality they have in Canada, I'd imagine they're gonna be much more liberal on tornado warnings than the US. I'd imagine it doesn't take much more than a hook echo to issue a tornado warning for them... like what we did in the 60s-80s. 

Wild that they don't have at least better quality radars. Obviously, it's not like they don't have a dangerous tornado season. 

1 hour ago, Neoncyclone said:

Yeah I always thought the same thing, I figured that was why they make such large warning boxes too.

Not sure how far along in the “upgrade” process they are, but i did find this (and CV may be able to elaborate on the type(s) of radars they are upgrading to). 

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/weather-general-tools-resources/radar-overview/modernizing-network.html

• THANKS 1

16 minutes ago, Cincysnow said:

Not sure how far along in the “upgrade” process they are, but i did find this (and CV may be able to elaborate on the type(s) of radars they are upgrading to). 

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/weather-general-tools-resources/radar-overview/modernizing-network.html

I thought Environment Canada had WSR-98D, that is, ten years of technology improvement between 1988 vs 1998. Maybe the Dual-pol, super-resolution, and SAILs makes the US ones better.

The National Weather Service in the Twin Cities has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  North central Pierce County in west central Wisconsin...
  Southwestern St. Croix County in west central Wisconsin...

* Until 945 PM CDT.

* At 923 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located near River Falls, moving east at 30 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

2022_07_31_1025pm_EDT_KMPX1.jpg

Edited by Chinook
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
28 minutes ago, Cincysnow said:

Thanks for the digging— I just checked the radar they mentioned they already upgraded and this is what it looks like. I’ve never seen a US radar look like this. Especially the velocity.

I took a radar class and the logic applied to US radars doesn’t apply to Canadian radars.

The faster the scan, the lower the range because the amount of time before another beam goes out is less. That’s what TDWRs, like CVG, are updated almost every minute but really don’t reach that far but have high quality. They're an airport so they only care about what's happening in the area of takeoff in the near-term.

A longer scan has longer reach but, since the beam is tilted, quality decreases with distance so it's basically useless after a certain point because you're looking 1-2+ miles above ground.

Canadian radars reach quite a far way out, but the quality of the reflectivity/velocity doesn’t really lessen with distance. Looks as crappy 2 miles from the radar as 6 miles.

Only thing I can think of is that their reflectivity is actually composite reflectivity… I.e., combining multiple radar sites. Even then, their radars don’t seem to be on par with US radars.

US radars, KILN or KOUN for example, exclusively rely on the beam emitted from the respective radar site. That would allow for high quality near the radar and faded quality further away. As I said earlier, you don't really see that with Canadian radars.

2DF4FB52-A953-4BAE-B520-B115470D3006.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
9 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Some of the CAMs from tonight have more thunderstorms from Cincinnati to Louisville.  There may be some substantial 0-3km SRH with the 850mb winds at 30kt in some of the region.

When did you move to Ohio and which part are you in?

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

Might be one hell of a stretch but I think there may have been a very brief spin-up tornado on what looks like an embedded supercell in the MCS, only a couple miles from me too. @ClicheVortex2014What do you think, definitely looks like there could have been something, velocity is kinda meh. (sidenote if there was a tornado it likely went through completely unpopulated areas, fields more or less.)

23993672_KVWX-Super-ResReflectivityTilt18_29AM.thumb.gif.8cf04b7f4b1859754243fe17915f80cd.gif

83564961_KVWX-Super-ResVelocityTilt18_30AM.thumb.gif.9e4982ceb47684dbee8bd1204d6ca1d7.gif

519499562_KVWX-Super-ResCorrelationCoefficient18_35AM.thumb.gif.8040da49fa1297dc37610194bb304df1.gif

Edited by Neoncyclone

13 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

If the quality of radars we have on Radarscope is indeed the best quality they have in Canada, I'd imagine they're gonna be much more liberal on tornado warnings than the US. I'd imagine it doesn't take much more than a hook echo to issue a tornado warning for them... like what we did in the 60s-80s. 

Wild that they don't have at least better quality radars. Obviously, it's not like they don't have a dangerous tornado season. 

Yeah, the NWS overall is of much higher quality with weather forecasting, site layout, and data than Environment Canada is IMO.