July 22-31, 2022 | Ring of Fire

ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist

This has been an insane summer and we're not done. Very high confidence in AA warmth/dryness in the 8-14 day range.

We're about to have a three-peat La Nina winter. It's only happened 2 other times since 1950: 1973-75, 2010-12, and soon-to-be 2020-22.

With respect to severe weather, this is the first three-peat Nina that didn't have a Super Outbreak. The two outbreaks of December 2021 were certainly historic, arguably regardless of the time of year, but not to the magnitude of 1974 or 2011. 

That said, Spring of 2023 will still fall under the umbrella of the three-peat La Nina, so we're not out of the woods in that regard. Who knows.

It's interesting how it took at least 23 years (from when reliable records started) to get the first three-peat... then almost 40 years between the first three-peat and the second, then a little less than 10 years between the second and third. Might be an impact of climate change. Too early to tell for sure.

Edit: I wanna add, too, that we think/thought that the 2015-16 Super Nino was possibly attributed to climate change. This three-peat Nina doesn't necessarily negate this possibility; climate change could be making extreme ENSO events more likely.

image.png.db5f899e45d4df8756f190da0375275d.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 3

• Meteorologist
2 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

This has been an insane summer and we're not done. Very high confidence in AA warmth/dryness in the 8-14 day range.

We're about to have a three-peat La Nina winter. It's only happened 2 other times since 1950: 1973-75, 2010-12, and soon-to-be 2020-22.

With respect to severe weather, this is the first three-peat Nina that didn't have a Super Outbreak. The two outbreaks of December 2021 were certainly historic, arguably regardless of the time of year, but not to the magnitude of 1974 or 2011. 

That said, Spring of 2023 will still fall under the umbrella of the three-peat La Nina, so we're not out of the woods in that regard. Who knows.

It's interesting how it took at least 23 years (from when reliable records started) to get the first three-peat... then almost 40 years between the first three-peat and the second, then a little less than 10 years between the second and third. Might be an impact of climate change. Too early to tell for sure.

Edit: I wanna add, too, that we think/thought that the 2015-16 Super Nino was possibly attributed to climate change. This three-peat Nina doesn't necessarily negate this possibility; climate change could be making extreme ENSO events more likely.

image.png.db5f899e45d4df8756f190da0375275d.png

I was corrected that 2010-12 was not a 3peat Nina. 1998-2000 was the latest 3peat. So the latest 3peats have been more spread out than I mistakenly believed. But the idea that ENSO has become more extreme since ~1980 is still valid.

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1

3 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

I was corrected that 2010-12 was not a 3peat Nina. 1998-2000 was the latest 3peat. So the latest 3peats have been more spread out than I mistakenly believed. But the idea that ENSO has become more extreme since ~1980 is still valid.

This is why I respect you. Im sure nobody would have known whether you were right or wrong but you still made sure to fact check and correct your self. 

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 2

• Meteorologist
6 hours ago, Snow____ said:

This is why I respect you. Im sure nobody would have known whether you were right or wrong but you still made sure to fact check and correct your self. 

I appreciate it but in all fairness, it was pointed out to me rather than me actually going back to look at the data. I went off memory and my memory failed me

STL is having a morning indeed

C4C1D4DF-C5C3-4866-A2A2-75B45EAA00BA.png

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 2
  • SAD 1

2 hours ago, snowlover2 said:

0z HRRR showing some action here and there.

8f787b4c-0255-4a2f-b472-9fe6aef6219d.gif

Looks cool. Was expecting a bit more with FFW for today and I’ve been waiting for some storms to pop all night since I’ve gotten home but it doesn’t look like anything until morning.