July 22-31, 2022 | Ring of Fire

ClicheVortex2014

New outlook 

Day 1 Convective Outlook NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK 1250 AM CDT Sat Jul 23 2022 Valid 231200Z - 241200Z ...THERE IS AN ENHANCED RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS PARTS OF THE UPPER MIDWEST AND SOUTHERN GREAT LAKES... ...SUMMARY... Severe thunderstorms are expected today across parts of the Upper Midwest and southern Great Lakes. Damaging winds with gusts over 75 miles per hour, a few tornadoes and large to very large hail will be possible with the more intense storms. ...Upper Midwest/Southern Great Lakes... An upper-level trough, currently evident in water vapor imagery over the northern Rockies, will move east-southeastward across the northern Plains today. At the surface, a low and an associated cold front will move southeastward from central South Dakota into the mid Missouri Valley. Ahead of the front, a moist airmass will be in place from the mid Missouri Valley eastward into the southern Great Lakes, with surface dewpoints in the upper 60s to mid 70s F. As the trough approaches the northern Plains this morning, scattered convective initiation should take place across the central Dakotas. Convective coverage is expected to expand as a cluster organizes into a line around midday. This line is forecast to move east-southeastward across southern Minnesota and northern Iowa by early afternoon, and then eastward across southern and central Wisconsin during the mid to late afternoon. RAP and NAM forecast soundings near the strongest instability in southern Wisconsin at 21Z have MLCAPE in the 4000 to 5000 J/kg range, with 0-6 km shear of 30 to 35 knots. Directional shear is evident at low levels with strong speed shear present at mid levels. The RAP has lapse rates near 8.0 C/km throughout the forecast sounding, suggesting that any line that can become organized will likely produce wind damage. The best potential for damaging winds, including gusts above 70 knots, is forecast from southeast Minnesota and northwest Iowa eastward across southern Wisconsin, near the axis of strongest instability. Supercells that develop within the linear MCS could also produce large hail, with hailstones greater than 2 inches in diameter possible. A few tornadoes may also occur with bow echoes or rotating cells that form within the line. The linear MCS is forecast to continue to move east-southeastward into southern Lower Michigan by early evening. Although model forecasts have a greater spread concerning instability in southern Lower Michigan, it seems likely that moderate instability will be in place. This should enable the linear MCS to remain severe as it crosses southern Lower Michigan, where wind damage will be likely.

image.thumb.png.a88ec5d4f03b095c371b99e3f6ab0241.png

Edited by StormfanaticInd

9 hours ago, snowlover2 said:

Newest HRRR run. It seems to be overdoing the temps because i don't see any chance of it hitting 100 here. Maybe could have the MCS too far north because of that?

c65f88e3-ea61-4528-8f2c-7da9406108de.gif

sfct.us_mw.png

Had a feeling the HRRR was full of it. Would think a watch here should be coming at any time.

1 hour ago, NWOhioChaser said:

Close but no cigar for Toledo I'm afraid. 

Screenshot_20220723-090025_RadarScope.jpg

I am at Findlay. I am hearing several low rumbles of thunder. I saw a cloud-to-cloud lightning. There are just a couple of sprinkles now, which is why I could step outside and try to watch lightning. It's the only lightning/thunder I've experienced in Ohio since 2015 or earlier. Severe warned storm is missing me.

Edited by Chinook

toledo express:

METAR: KTOL 231425Z 24036G45KT 4SM VCTS -RA SCT048 SCT060 BKN075 24/17 A2994 RMK AO2 PK WND 24045/1425 LTG DSNT SE-W RAB07 PRESFR P0000 T02390167

The radar is filled with rain and lightning. As opposed to last Saturday, when there was not lightning.

my first lightning and crap in ohio1.jpg

Mesoscale Discussion 1562
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1000 AM CDT Sat Jul 23 2022

Areas affected...portions of central/eastern OH

Concerning...Severe Thunderstorm Watch 488...

Valid 231500Z - 231630Z

The severe weather threat for Severe Thunderstorm Watch 488
   continues.

SUMMARY...Strong to severe gusts will continue across central Ohio,
   with some severe threat persisting downstream into southeast OH
   through early afternoon.

DISCUSSION...Ongoing convection moving from northeast into central
   Ohio this morning will continue to pose a threat for strong gusts of
   40-55 kt the next few hours. Most recently, a measured gust of 45 kt
   was noted at KTOL. The downstream environment is characterized by
   temperatures quickly warming into the 80s amid upper 60s/lower 70s
   dewpoints. This is resulting in moderate instability across central
   Ohio into southern OH. A well developed cold pool is noted behind
   the line of convection, and this should continue to support an
   organized line of storms as they track southeast. Some severe threat
   will likely persist downstream from WW 488, and a new watch will
   likely be needed for portions of southeast OH within the hour.

..Leitman.. 07/23/2022

mcd1562.gif

I dont get very good wind readings around here because of trees, but station just recorded the highest gust ever in 4 years at 40MPH which was probably more like 60-70. Which if you consider weather the last 4 years to just make a new "peak", impressive. The dock has become dislodged from the bottom and sideways. Each side with about 300 lbs of cinder blocks 6 feet down. So now I've got an all time precip and wind this month 🥴

Screenshot_20220723-113856_meShare.jpg

• SHOCKED 3