...SUMMARY...

Thunderstorms capable of wind damage will be possible across parts

of Illinois into Indiana and Lower Michigan today. Isolated

strong-severe wind gusts and hail may also occur from Missouri

west-southwestward into the south-central High Plains and across

other parts of the upper Great Lakes.

...Discussion...

The prior outlook/reasoning continues to reflect current conditions

and future expectations with respect to convective/severe weather. 

As such, aside from minor tweaks to the 10% thunder area in a few

locations, no changes appear to be necessary at this time.

..Goss.. 07/11/2022

.PREV DISCUSSION... /ISSUED 1125 AM CDT Mon Jul 11 2022/

...Central IL to Lower MI late this afternoon into early tonight...

A midlevel shortwave trough over MN will progress east-southeastward

over the Great Lakes by tonight, as an associated/weak surface cold

front moves southeastward into KS/MO/IL/MI. An overnight MCS has

largely dissipated across northern IL this morning (aside from a few

elevated storms over southern Lake MI), but lingering cloud debris

will slow surface heating into early afternoon. By mid-late

afternoon, pockets of surface heating and eastward advection of

low-level moisture along the cold front will result in sufficient

destabilization and weakening of the cap to allow thunderstorm

development from northern IL across northern IN into southern Lower

MI by this evening. There is still some uncertainty regarding the

timing and corridor of storm initiation, given lingering clouds and

modest forcing for ascent. If storms do form from IL into Lower MI

by this evening along the front and/or differential heating zone,

moderate buoyancy and 50 kt midlevel flow will support a threat for

damaging outflow gusts.

image.png

• Meteorologist

Texas is likely experiencing rolling blackouts today as their power grid is failing (again)... average temperature for DFW has been 90 degrees this month. That includes low temps.

image.png

Widespread 100+ degrees across the Southern Plains right now. Includes almost all of Texas and Oklahoma.

image.thumb.png.ee394f2ac22baf0b51e3624bc5c17a1e.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • SHOCKED 1
  • YUCK 1

Almost everyone except for people who live in small towns has seen that civil authorities have not kept infrastructure up to match population increases. It's still sad to see it affect so many people in Texas both now and in the winter. In my neck of the woods its mainly  the interstate, which is a huge corridor for truck traffic. Partially due to congestion and partially due to insufficient travel lanes for the amount of traffic and partially due to shitty drivers, fatalities are a sad occurrence almost daily. 

• LIKE 2

• Meteorologist
26 minutes ago, 1816 said:

Almost everyone except for people who live in small towns has seen that civil authorities have not kept infrastructure up to match population increases. It's still sad to see it affect so many people in Texas both now and in the winter. In my neck of the woods its mainly  the interstate, which is a huge corridor for truck traffic. Partially due to congestion and partially due to insufficient travel lanes for the amount of traffic and partially due to shitty drivers, fatalities are a sad occurrence almost daily. 

I saw someone on Twitter say they set their thermostat for 78 degrees. In that heat, it must be miserable. Not to mention the obvious tragedy of homeless people having to experience this heat.

I don't want to turn this political but with midterms coming up and the fact that this is the second time the grid failed **this year**, you'd think they would've looked into the issues and aggressively fixed it the first time. Obviously, the first time was in winter and this is the opposite season, but I can't imagine the flaws were unapparent/unsolvable when you have the resources state governments have.

• LIKE 1
  • WOW 1

57 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

I saw someone on Twitter say they set their thermostat for 78 degrees. In that heat, it must be miserable. Not to mention the obvious tragedy of homeless people having to experience this heat.

I don't want to turn this political but with midterms coming up and the fact that this is the second time the grid failed **this year**, you'd think they would've looked into the issues and aggressively fixed it the first time. Obviously, the first time was in winter and this is the opposite season, but I can't imagine the flaws were unapparent/unsolvable when you have the resources state governments have.

Cliche I'm not an expert or anything but short of building more nuclear power plants and transmission lines im not sure what could be done. Both of those take more than money, they require a lot of time and land as well as a shitload of money. Transmission infrastructure in particular is borderline impossible now without eminent domain, although I imagine Texas is one of the best possible places for something like that. 

• LIKE 1

29 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Pretty decent environment today but will anything develop?

I sure hope so. I noticed that the forcast for tonight upped shower, storm probabilities to 50% . Really need the rain here around Central Indiana. 

• LIKE 1

13 minutes ago, 1816 said:

Cliche I'm not an expert or anything but short of building more nuclear power plants and transmission lines im not sure what could be done. Both of those take more than money, they require a lot of time and land as well as a shitload of money. Transmission infrastructure in particular is borderline impossible now without eminent domain, although I imagine Texas is one of the best possible places for something like that. 

America desperately needs to update its infrastructure but unfortunately politics will get in the way. I'm afraid it is going to take a catastrophic system failure before we really do anything about this problem 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2

9 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

America desperately needs to update its infrastructure but unfortunately politics will get in the way. I'm afraid it is going to take a catastrophic system failure before we really do anything about this problem 

I'm afraid I agree. Nothing will get done until its' too late and then and only then can we actually do something...but not until the duopoly plays out their theatrics.

• LIKE 3

• Meteorologist
43 minutes ago, 1816 said:

29 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I agree with both of you. I don't know about what can be done, but I'm not a politician and it's not like they don't have the resources to get something done. It's all about politics, and unfortunately the people suffer. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2