June 25-June 30, 2022 | Severe Weather (bust)

ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist
3 hours ago, FortySixAnd32 said:

That was an insane Friday for sure!!!

One of my favorite day 1 outlooks/verifications. If not my favorite. This was the first day 1 outlook for 6/29/12. SPC did the best they could with the information they had... certainly not unusual to have a surprise MCS pop up out of nowhere on the models <12 hours in advance.

image.png

The same outlook minus the reports

image.png.49faba58f983f93494d93fee2776112e.png

The second day 2 outlook was also pretty classic. Of course, now all of us in the region know when a marginal or slight risk is oriented like this, especially with NW flow, that's a big red flag.

image.png.15a48abe0295a01dedd115708da03eac.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • THANKS 1

• Meteorologist

In case anyone is wondering what the hell is going on... model approximated sounding in the area.  Very tall mixed layer, very tall inverted-V sounding. Any rain that develops and starts to fall will immediately evaporate, causing a very strong downdraft. 

10.8 C/km 0-3km lapse rates. Beyond super adiabatic. In other words, the environment cools faster than the unsaturated air parcel (cools at 10 C/km). The entire 0-3km layer is superadiabatic. It's pretty unusual to have that east of the Rockies, and even more so when rain is able to develop.

Normally you need an air parcel to become saturated in order to create any meaningful instability because the rate at which a saturated air parcel cools is far, far less (~6.5 C/km compared to 10 C/km), so it's much easier for the environment to cool quicker than the air parcel. 

image.thumb.png.b4cb4b2ae8760326d29529cddc3d5364.png

image.png.e7ea28e0e11e67967eb1d7400b3147ed.png

• WOW 1
  • THANKS 1

3 hours ago, FortySixAnd32 said:

That was an insane Friday for sure!!!

Yep was very memorable here. Lots of trees were downed. Definitely the strongest straight line winds I've experienced. Pure whiteout when it hit.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
17 minutes ago, junior said:

Yep was very memorable here. Lots of trees were downed. Definitely the strongest straight line winds I've experienced. Pure whiteout when it hit.

Unfortunately I don't remember experiencing the derecho. Must not have been that strong in West Chester because I surely remember Hurricane Ike. I doubt I'll ever experience something that compares to that.

• LIKE 2

I don't know but I don't think it was expected to cross the mountains.  Definitely caught me by surprise here in VA. I went out of town and when I got back my whole porch was destroyed. Was without power for about a week and unfortunately that was the hottest week I can remember. Almost 100 every day. The only place cool enough to be bearable was the unfinished basement so that's where we slept. Or tried to sleep anyway. Whole house felt like an oven above basement level. 

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, 1816 said:

I don't know but I don't think it was expected to cross the mountains.  Definitely caught me by surprise here in VA. I went out of town and when I got back my whole porch was destroyed. Was without power for about a week and unfortunately that was the hottest week I can remember. Almost 100 every day. The only place cool enough to be bearable was the unfinished basement so that's where we slept. Or tried to sleep anyway. Whole house felt like an oven above basement level. 

Yeah typically MCSs don't sustain very well as they cross mountains. That's part of what made this derecho extraordinary... it really didn't lose much strength. Owes to the strength of the MCS and how well matured it was before it approached the Appalachians. 

• LIKE 2

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

2200 downdraft cape in NE SD per mesoanalysis. Highest observed downdraft cape sounding in the area was 2227. Of course, mesoanalysis =/= observed. We'll see what the 0z suite says.

image.png

image.png

Fell short of the record by quite a bit. The lack of an inverted-V and the very brief inversions contributed to this.

image.thumb.png.1b4461364319b3a6aa8e15725959ffa5.png

2 hours ago, 1816 said:

We went camping in WV a week after the derecho and a lot of areas were still w/o power. No ice/ac and a heat wave... was horrible. The white water rafting was our only relief. 

• THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

• The title was changed to June 25-June 30, 2022 | Severe Weather (bust)
1 hour ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Fell short of the record by quite a bit. The lack of an inverted-V and the very brief inversions contributed to this.

image.thumb.png.1b4461364319b3a6aa8e15725959ffa5.png

Were calling for 80mph gusts with isolated storms.  Kind of fizzled so far.

There did end up being some t storm and non t storm wind gusts on the storm reports.

Looks like 68mph was the top for both at ABR