June 11-24, 2022 | Northwest Flow Severe Weather/Ring of Fire

ClicheVortex2014

Yikes!!! Baseballs and 70mph winds!

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RAPID CITY SD
528 PM MDT SUN JUN 12 2022

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0526 PM     HAIL             2 NNW SAINT ONGE        44.58N 103.75W
06/12/2022  E2.75 INCH       LAWRENCE           SD   TRAINED SPOTTER

ALSO MEASURED 70 MPH WIND GUST. LARGE BRANCHES ARE
            DOWN.

Double Yikes!!! 91mph winds!

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RAPID CITY SD
524 PM MDT SUN JUN 12 2022

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0515 PM     TSTM WND GST     1 N SAINT ONGE          44.55N 103.72W
06/12/2022  M91 MPH          LAWRENCE           SD   TRAINED SPOTTER

WIND GUST MEASURED VIA UNL MOBILE MESONET IN RFD

• Meteorologist

Finally found an event to make a Facebook post about. Here's a copy that breaks it down into an easier way to digest for some.

There really hasn't been much weather to talk about for Ohio until recently, but tomorrow's got some serious potential for damaging winds for some part of Ohio. Exactly which part is very uncertain, even though it's only 24 hours out.

Extremely strong storms currently in the Plains will eventually develop into what's called a mesoscale convective system (MCS) and produce a swath of potentially high-end damaging winds through at least some of the overnight. The MCS will weaken as it moves into Iowa and basically just be a sort of convective-induced (technically by latent heat from very intense, long-lived storms) low pressure known as a mesoscale convective vortex (MCV). With very hot and humid conditions present from Illinois into Indiana, Ohio, and southern Michigan, the MCV will re-strengthen tomorrow morning and likely produce a potentially narrow swath of very damaging winds... talking 75+ mph winds in places.

The questions that remain are:
1) When/where the MCS develops tonight
2) How fast it moves
3) How much the MCV slows, if it does, in the morning
4) How quick the new MCS develops tomorrow
5) How fast the new MCS moves
6) Where the instability (think of it as kind of a warm front) is

#6 is important because MCSs typically like to follow instability/moisture gradients... so that'll tell us where it'll move, and where the threat will be greatest.

As you can see, there's a lot going of variables that will change how tomorrow goes, and the models are notoriously bad at handling most of the above. Currently the bullseye appears to be on northern Indiana, southern Michigan, and northern Ohio. But all Ohio should be aware and prepare for power outages.

Conditions will be extremely favorable for severe weather in Ohio regardless, including supercells and tornadoes. HOWEVER, it's looking very unlikely that storms can develop away from the MCS, which is a forcing mechanism on its own at this point. Additionally, there's a small but significant-enough layer of stable air above us that should keep convection from forming. I wouldn't consider this a concern right now, but it is worth a mention just in case.

To make matters worse, a nasty heat wave is going to follow this severe weather. Southwest Ohio is looking at temperatures in the upper 90s with heat indices in the 105-110 degree range, maybe greater on Wednesday. So, if you like storms, this is one you want to sit out because you don't want to be caught without power in heat like this. The heat wave should end by this weekend.

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 3

3 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Finally found an event to make a Facebook post about. Here's a copy that breaks it down into an easier way to digest for some.

There really hasn't been much weather to talk about for Ohio until recently, but tomorrow's got some serious potential for damaging winds for some part of Ohio. Exactly which part is very uncertain, even though it's only 24 hours out.
Very serious storms currently in the Plains will eventually develop into what's called a mesoscale convective system (MCS) and produce a swath of very damaging winds through at least some of the overnight. The MCS will weaken as it moves into Iowa and basically just be a sort of convection-induced low pressure known as a mesoscale convective vortex (MCV). With very hot and humid conditions present from Illinois into Indiana, Ohio, and southern Michigan, the MCV will re-strengthen tomorrow morning and likely produce a potentially narrow swath of very damaging winds... talking 75+ mph winds in places.
The questions that remain are:
1) When/where the MCS develops tonight
2) How fast it moves
3) How much the MCV slows, if it does, in the morning
4) How quick the new MCS develops tomorrow
5) How fast the new MCS moves
6) Where the instability (think of it as kind of a warm front) is
#6 is important because MCSs typically like to follow instability/moisture gradients... so that'll tell us where it'll move, and where the threat will be greatest.
As you can see, there's a lot going of variables that will change how tomorrow goes, and the models are notoriously bad at handling most of the above. Currently the bullseye appears to be on northern Indiana, southern Michigan, and northern Ohio. But all Ohio should be aware and prepare for power outages.
Conditions will be extremely favorable for severe weather in Ohio regardless, including supercells and tornadoes. HOWEVER, it's looking very unlikely that storms can develop away from the MCS, which is a forcing mechanism on its own at this point. Additionally, there's a small but significant-enough layer of stable air above us that should keep convection from forming. I wouldn't consider this a concern right now, but it is worth a mention just in case.
To make matters worse, a nasty heat wave is going to follow this severe weather. Southwest Ohio is looking at temperatures in the upper 90s with heat indices in the 105-110 degree range. So, if you like storms, this is one you want to sit out because you don't want to be caught without power in heat like this. The heat wave should end by this weekend.

Where there is heat, MCSs will be right behind 😄

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

Quite the trend for tomorrow valid at 17z. Below is 12z, 18z, and 23z HRRR in that order

I guess this is a bit misleading now that I think about it. The MCS in the Minneapolis area is different from the MCV in Wisconsin in the latter two. But there is a shift from 18z to 23z to the southeast. Also have those weird storms in NW IN.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Meteorologist

This run assumes the Plains convection doesn't develop into a well-organized MCS. Shear is also considerably weaker which is related to the lack of a MCV.

I have trouble believing the MCS/MCV part.

That said, effective shear is still in the 20's ahead of that cluster in S IN/SW OH. That's enough for a significant MCS given the amount of instability.

floop-hrrr-2022061300.refcmp.us_mw.gif

8 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

Wow 0z HRRR looking fiesty.

8 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Wasn't expecting this much of a shift. The hell?

image.png

4 minutes ago, OxfordOh_ said:

Well this has me a bit concerned 

I feel like i just entered a winter storm thread and getting caught up

• LAUGH 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
2 minutes ago, Neoncyclone said:

I wouldn't trust anything until the morning tbh, today looked like a decent day here in S IL but nothing convected.

100% agreed. I know I said there should be some big changes but that's dramatic. 

Just now, ClicheVortex2014 said:

100% agreed. I know I said there should be some big changes but that's dramatic. 

Silver lining is that the MCS does come through to the north just several hours later on this run

Edited by Neoncyclone