May 29th - June 3rd?, 2022 | Severe Weather

Ingyball

I didn't get the chance to post about it last evening (mostly because power/internet/phone service was wiped out), but a sneaky little whopper of a storm rolled through my part of northern Hancock County, Ohio last evening shortly after 7 p.m. It seemingly came out of nowhere a couple hours after the initial line of storms had formed just south/east of me and I though we were in good shape. My family sat down to dinner and the electricity went out, then 5-10 minutes later, all hell broke loose with the type of storm I hadn't personally witnessed since I was in middle school (I'm 41 now). 

For 20 minutes, this sucker literally raged like a hurricane, with constant/non-stop wind (not just gusts) bending/breaking trees and rattling the house. Local radio operators reported 79 mph wind. Rain came down in sheets so hard you couldn't see much across the street (1 inch in like 15 minutes maybe). Quarter-sized hail (no larger, thankfully) driven by the wind pelted the windows. The neighborhood got ripped up pretty good, but the damage could have been a lot worse. I didn't capture any photos/videos of it myself because I was caught off guard, shocked by it, and also making sure the family was getting their butts to the basement while I "stood guard" in the hallway cause there was no way I was putting my nose to the windows during this storm.

Below are some images from neighbors and other locals, and local meteorologists' posts about this particular storm. It was crazy to witness.

IMG_5681.jpg.584d76810d2310719a876fd535b410cc.jpgIMG_5682.jpg.2e9547e9103618411976e3f81d0a9c96.jpgIMG_5680.thumb.jpg.ddd4c770025ff214c66689903bedf682.jpgIMG_5678.jpg.33a3799bb24b47c3625a339109d3d679.jpgIMG_5679.jpg.39e778c17993d4cc9be63b5950629904.jpg

Edited by NWsnowhio
Fixed Twitter Embeds
  • SHOCKED 4

34 minutes ago, NWsnowhio said:

I didn't get the chance to post about it last evening (mostly because power/internet/phone service was wiped out), but a sneaky little whopper of a storm rolled through my part of northern Hancock County, Ohio last evening shortly after 7 p.m. It seemingly came out of nowhere a couple hours after the initial line of storms had formed just south/east of me and I though we were in good shape. My family sat down to dinner and the electricity went out, then 5-10 minutes later, all hell broke loose with the type of storm I hadn't personally witnessed since I was in middle school (I'm 41 now). 

For 20 minutes, this sucker literally raged like a hurricane, with constant/non-stop wind (not just gusts) bending/breaking trees and rattling the house. Local radio operators reported 79 mph wind. Rain came down in sheets so hard you couldn't see much across the street (1 inch in like 15 minutes maybe). Quarter-sized hail (no larger, thankfully) driven by the wind pelted the windows. The neighborhood got ripped up pretty good, but the damage could have been a lot worse. I didn't capture any photos/videos of it myself because I was caught off guard, shocked by it, and also making sure the family was getting their butts to the basement while I "stood guard" in the hallway cause there was no way I was putting my nose to the windows during this storm.

Below are some images from neighbors and other locals, and local meteorologists' posts about this particular storm. It was crazy to witness.

IMG_5681.jpg.584d76810d2310719a876fd535b410cc.jpgIMG_5682.jpg.2e9547e9103618411976e3f81d0a9c96.jpgIMG_5680.thumb.jpg.ddd4c770025ff214c66689903bedf682.jpgIMG_5678.jpg.33a3799bb24b47c3625a339109d3d679.jpgIMG_5679.jpg.39e778c17993d4cc9be63b5950629904.jpg

Almost sounds like it was a downburst.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

6 hours ago, NWsnowhio said:

Im glad you stayed safe through the storm. My wife and I were on our way home from grabbing dinner and we were able to see the cloud deck towards the south with that particular storm. It had a due east path and at one point looked like it started to track NE before sinking southeast. Definitely had some spin to it. Glad someone in the area finally got a good one. Still waiting in Lucas county.

Thanks for the photo dump! Storm structure looked badass. 

Edited by NWOhioChaser
  • THUMBS UP 1

46 minutes ago, NWOhioChaser said:

Im glad you stayed safe through the storm. My wife and I were on our way home from grabbing dinner and we able to see the cloud deck towards the south with that particular storm. It had a due east path and at one point looked like it started to track NE before sinking southeast. Definitely had some spin to it. Glad someone in the area finally got a good one. Still waiting in Lucas county.

Thanks for the photo dump! Storm structure looked badass. 

Yeah...me too. I was paying a little bit of attention as the two cells it came from were merging earlier and it had that NE track that looked like it was gonna skirt me to the North. It definitely took an unconventional path and that SE dive/spin caught me off guard. I normally would have been outside watching for what's coming but unfortunately missed it this time, so I have had to live vicariously from the photos and videos from others. But at least I got to experience the ride!

I like putting all the photos/videos in one place here to go back and refer to from time to time. Glad others can appreciate them as well.

• THUMBS UP 1

• Meteorologist
4 hours ago, NWsnowhio said:

Great pictures. Glad you're okay. Looks like it was a supercell based on radar, and based on Julies' picture, I can faintly make out the classic wet microburst signature. 

I doubt it's a coincidence that there was a storm merger just prior to the damaging wind reports. 

image.png.f5d2514b7e35b4f44d8dc24b022099a9.png

image.png.0713938472151bd214af2f74aeab3de0.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 2
  • SHOCKED 1

2 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Great pictures. Glad you're okay. Looks like it was a supercell based on radar, and based on Julies' picture, I can faintly make out the classic wet microburst signature. 

I doubt it's a coincidence that there was a storm merger just prior to the damaging wind reports. 

image.png.f5d2514b7e35b4f44d8dc24b022099a9.png

Thank you. I was waiting for the @ClicheVortex2014 official diagnosis!   Based on what I experienced, I would say "wet" is a bit of an understatement with this one! 😆

• LAUGH 1

• Meteorologist
9 minutes ago, NWsnowhio said:

Thank you. I was waiting for the @ClicheVortex2014 official diagnosis!   Based on what I experienced, I would say "wet" is a bit of an understatement with this one! 😆

There is such a thing as a dry microburst so I just wanted to specify to make sure there's no confusion 😂

• LAUGH 1

• Meteorologist

32nd anniversary of this event. Special to me because, even though I wasn't even conceived yet, an F4 went through Butler county and would've made a direct hit to West Chester... where I grew up... if it had existed at the time. The area was just farm fields at the time, but it's now a pretty well-developed area, and the tornado probably would've struck my high school, Lakota West, one of the biggest high schools in Ohio. 700-something people in my graduating class. If Lakota East and West were combined, it would've been around 1500.

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
On 6/2/2022 at 5:30 PM, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Solid moderate risk placement. Intensity of tornadoes underwhelmed but those in the moderate risk certainly saw severe weather.

image.png.959b5e94f6bd3ea81032432d672dc264.png

After a marathon month for us... I need a break already! We're still determining areas of interest for additional survey potential so the number of tors could increase further. We definitely dodged the "tornado outbreak" concerns we initially expected. 

What a month. 

• Meteorologist
10 hours ago, MidwestWX said:

After a marathon month for us... I need a break already! We're still determining areas of interest for additional survey potential so the number of tors could increase further. We definitely dodged the "tornado outbreak" concerns we initially expected. 

What a month. 

Glad you posted, thought we lost you.

Sucks you had this crazy May because June is usually pretty crazy for you. I'm sure you're happy about this suppressed/zonal flow over the next week. Should be a nice break.

• LOVE 1

• Meteorologist
On 6/4/2022 at 8:14 PM, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Glad you posted, thought we lost you.

Sucks you had this crazy May because June is usually pretty crazy for you. I'm sure you're happy about this suppressed/zonal flow over the next week. Should be a nice break.

Hah! I've only been lost to overtime and midnights but otherwise I'm still lurking. I'll admit we're all grateful for this reprieve from the active pattern. My work/life balance is not always ideal [when I randomly disappear]

Ironically I just had a discussion with my WCM concerning the Memorial day event. We're still assessing additional drone footage from very rural areas to determine if any damage is tornadic (It is). I'll try to QC some points and move towards finalizing some of the tracks today. 

• LIKE 1