May 7-28, 2022 | Severe Weather/MCS Sequence

ElectricStorm

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, SoDakFarmer said:

And we’re all going to get battered with 80mph wind driven baseball sized hail?

Or just Minnesota and Wisconsin :)

1 hour ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

One of the cities I did was Siuox Falls so that's pretty close! Was running out of time by the time I got to the technical discussion so I basically just said with the combination of instability/shear, the negative tilt, and the sub-990mb low, severe storms are expected and they could possibly be widespread. I didn't want to flat-out say that without "possibly" because I didn't want to jump ahead of SPC on what was basically a work tryout, but on here I would say that without the "possibly"... it's gonna be a busy day. 

I added that quick growth into a MCS should materialize due to strong forcing on the cold front. However... I'd say E SD is in the early stages of the event so I'm expecting E SD/W MN to have a discrete/semi-discrete supercell threat for a bit. Then it turns into a wind-driven hail event. Don't mess with a sub-990mb low with a negative tilt in mid-ish May.

IMO, it has some 12/15/21 vibes. Obviously can't expect something of that magnitude, but just the whole setup reminds me of it.

As expected, HRRR begins with discrete convection but increases in coverage from 23z to 0z. Wouldn't want to be under any of those cells

image.thumb.png.ae966bfbe280a7477e90c664d35b0460.png

image.thumb.png.8ae3e8735a49fde8a4d7d10693b1e783.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

I've took a look on the Mesoanalysis, CAPE levels were just extreme, over 6000 to 6500. I've never seen CAPE levels this high before.

I'm afraid that this is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode, and once it does, it's not going to end well . . .

• Meteorologist
25 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

I've took a look on the Mesoanalysis, CAPE levels were just extreme, over 6000 to 6500. I've never seen CAPE levels this high before.

I'm afraid that this is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode, and once it does, it's not going to end well . . .

6000+ cape does happen at least several times per year, usually in the summer, but rarely does it happen when convection is forced. When it does, it's usually somewhere in derecho alley/corn belt... the Dakotas, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana, western Ohio. This is an observed sounding from western Ohio just ahead of a high-end derecho almost 10 years ago

image.png.6c4c270b9c794a54b453bfa218480ca3.png

I don't have an adjective good enough to describe the environment on the warm front here.

image.thumb.png.6df1ba989e5ae6e817f174947517c181.png

Extreme SE ND

image.thumb.png.ce5192a983a0976440dfd31e50bf7a27.png

Central-ish MN along the warm front

image.thumb.png.69a4d86d075f5242cf4f17e2279fce1e.png

• LIKE 1

3 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Late May and early June could get quite active. The ensembles are hinting at that at least 

I was watching Reed Timmer's severe weather update this morning. I've gotten into watching a few Youtube videos on such things. He said that the upper level low near South Carolina right now is spreading lower moisture to the eastern Gulf of Mexico. Maybe it could take some time to recharge that area with deep moisture.

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, Chinook said:

I was watching Reed Timmer's severe weather update this morning. I've gotten into watching a few Youtube videos on such things. He said that the upper level low near South Carolina right now is spreading lower moisture to the eastern Gulf of Mexico. Maybe it could take some time to recharge that area with deep moisture.

Won't take much to recover in late May and June  imo. 

• Meteorologist
48 minutes ago, Chinook said:

Yeah a SPC forecaster tweeted it'll take some time for sufficient moisture to return because of that retrograding trough. IIRC he was thinking seasonable severe weather may be back for the last week of May. Also, to be fair, that was almost a week ago.

For tomorrow, convection allowing models have some agreement but not perfect agreement on heavier thunderstorms to develop in the Sioux City/Sioux Falls area. Also a cluster of storms is likely at the warm front in the northern half of Minnesota. In fact, some models really show some evidence of a MCV in northwest Iowa, but I don't know if that makes too much of a difference. Basically anything could be severe around there.

models-2022051100-f023.refcmp_uh001h.us_mw.gif

Edited by Chinook

46 minutes ago, OKwx_2001 said:

Oh hello there 

day3otlk_0730.gif.2f0bd9a0f3fe57ad79bec32bd864cd58.gif

Goes to show how even the smallest of setups can turn into a slight risk. Gotta love May

The Monstrous CCKW is going to arrive here next week, it could greatly enhance the severe weather potential in that timeframe.

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

The Monstrous CCKW is going to arrive here next week, it could greatly enhance the severe weather potential in that timeframe.

There's often some lag time between CCKW and when active weather it present so we may not see it's affects until a few days after it passes. 

• LIKE 2

• Meteorologist

Any cell that hits the outflow boundary sitting on the radar site should see some rapid changes. As such, SPC just highlighted this area for tornado potential. The issue IMO is that storm motion is almost perpendicular to the orientation of the outflow boundary. If a cell can turn right and go more perpendicular to the IA/MN border, it's bad news.

image.thumb.png.41ec1cfbe9f05c8b6ba4e5f6593ca629.png