May 7-28, 2022 | Severe Weather/MCS Sequence

ElectricStorm

• Meteorologist

Looks ambiguous on radar but weather spotters allegedly have eyes on a tornado

A squall is developing now that the cold front has eaten the dryline. Best shear is in the north half of the line, so that's where the best tornado threat will be.

image.thumb.png.0c1af84e5b20548a150266c56f5482cb.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

The next 3 days really favors the Upper Midwest. Went straight from May climatology to late June/July climatology in a couple weeks. Absolutely massive eastern ridge with a retrograding trough undercutting it is to blame. Very unusual pattern. Gonna take some time for the Gulf to recover from that retrograding trough but it's late May so it'll happen pretty quickly.

floop-nam-2022051000.scp.conus.gif

floop-nam-2022051000.500wh.conus.gif

I saw this on Twitter with respect to the  5/9/2016 tornado outbreak which had the Katie tornado and also this large EF-3 at Sulphur Oklahoma (RAXpol is a mobile doppler)

I was just thinking--- it has been 10 years since dual-pol capabilities were added to the GRLevel3 program. (dual-pol was installed at different times for different radars in 2012)

tweet about 5 9 2016 tornado at sulphur1.jpg

Edited by Chinook
  • LIKE 1
  • WOW 1

1 hour ago, Chinook said:

I saw this on Twitter with respect to the  5/9/2016 tornado outbreak which had the Katie tornado and also this large EF-3 at Sulphur Oklahoma (RAXpol is a mobile doppler)

I was just thinking--- it has been 10 years since dual-pol capabilities were added to the GRLevel3 program. (dual-pol was installed at different times for different radars in 2012)

tweet about 5 9 2016 tornado at sulphur1.jpg

The Sulphur tornado (the one pictured here) was almost certainly EF5 strength at some point IMO. Some of the radar indicated winds were well over 200mph. Thankfully it didn't hit anything to get that rating, or it would have been catastrophic if it hit one of those towns. That was a crazy day for sure, and haven't seen an outbreak that big/intense in OK since. 

Edited by OKwx_2001
  • LIKE 1

7 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Currently in Natchitoches, LA (Sounds more like "Nacho Cheese" 😆)

Got up to 95°F today on I-49 in Alexandria, LA

Cal Naughton Jr.: Oh man, it was so classy, we had a Stix cover band and a nacho fountain. Check it, it was a nacho fountain with six kinds of cheese on it.

Ricky Bobby: Liquid cheese? Like, it cascaded down?

Cal Naughton Jr.: Yeah.

Ricky: Are you serious?

Cal Naughton Jr.: Oh man, amazing, six different kinds; Swiss, Havarti, what was the other one?

Carly Naughton: Gouda.

Cal Naughton Jr.: Cheddar, Gouda.

Ricky Bobby: That is the greatest thing I ever heard of.

Cal Naughton Jr.: Feeding buffet in front of it, it was awesome.

• LAUGH 1

Wisconsin area:

Probability of Watch Issuance...80 percent SUMMARY...The risk of widely scattered thunderstorms capable of large to very large hail, damaging gusts, and a couple tornadoes will increase between 19Z-21Z. A watch will likely be needed for parts of the area this afternoon.

• LIKE 1

tornado watch

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a * Tornado Watch for portions of Wisconsin and Lake Michigan * Effective this Tuesday afternoon and evening from 215 PM until 900 PM CDT. * Primary threats include... A couple tornadoes possible Scattered large hail and isolated very large hail events to 2.5 inches in diameter possible Scattered damaging wind gusts to 70 mph possible

• Meteorologist

Just spent 6 hours non-stop on a forecasting test for a company that I haven't even interviewed for yet. Had to do these 3 towns... one in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and South Dakota... for the next 5 days and do a technical discussion. 

What a time to have to do that.

• LIKE 1
  • SHOCKED 2

Looks like the tornado threat up north never materialized, not much going on. Lots of action out west though, especially the TX panhandle. Not any tornado threat but there's some warnings for 80mph in there. Maybe these storms can make it a little further east than expected and we can get something...

It's kind of weird to see storm in the Texas Panhandle with quite low shear , but still enough CAPE to send high reflectivity and hailstones developing at 30000 ft.

CAPE was up to 8500 J/kg near Enid Oklahoma on the 22z HRRR. You can click on a point on Pivotalweather with 8853 J/kg with the Sharppy sounding computation.

Edited by Chinook

1 hour ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Just spent 6 hours non-stop on a forecasting test for a company that I haven't even interviewed for yet. Had to do these 3 towns... one in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and South Dakota... for the next 5 days and do a technical discussion. 

What a time to have to do that.

And we’re all going to get battered with 80mph wind driven baseball sized hail?

Or just Minnesota and Wisconsin :)

6 minutes ago, SoDakFarmer said:

definitely be paying attention to the Day-1 outlook when we get there!

• Meteorologist
11 minutes ago, SoDakFarmer said:

One of the cities I did was Siuox Falls so that's pretty close! Was running out of time by the time I got to the technical discussion so I basically just said with the combination of instability/shear, the negative tilt, and the sub-990mb low, severe storms are expected and they could possibly be widespread. I didn't want to flat-out say that without "possibly" because I didn't want to jump ahead of SPC on what was basically a work tryout, but on here I would say that without the "possibly"... it's gonna be a busy day. 

I added that quick growth into a MCS should materialize due to strong forcing on the cold front. However... I'd say E SD is in the early stages of the event so I'm expecting E SD/W MN to have a discrete/semi-discrete supercell threat for a bit. Then it turns into a wind-driven hail event. Don't mess with a sub-990mb low with a negative tilt in mid-ish May.

IMO, it has some 12/15/21 vibes. Obviously can't expect something of that magnitude, but just the whole setup reminds me of it.

• Meteorologist

I missed these soundings. Legit 6000+ sbcape profiles. Kinda early in the season for this but with all things considered, not surprised.

I'm not saying we can expect 6000+ cape tomorrow or Thursday, but this is the kind of environment that's being advected north ahead of a soon-to-be negative tilt. Nasty combination is slowly piecing together before our eyes at such a slow pace

image.thumb.png.a22eb69ef0da950d6a2ee7412c4b9d40.png

image.thumb.png.7127fc7664ea742c37bbaa8af779a4bc.png

• LIKE 1

14 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

I missed these soundings. Legit 6000+ sbcape profiles. Kinda early in the season for this but with all things considered, not surprised.

I'm not saying we can expect 6000+ cape tomorrow or Thursday, but this is the kind of environment that's being advected north ahead of a soon-to-be negative tilt. Nasty combination is slowly piecing together before our eyes at such a slow pace

image.thumb.png.a22eb69ef0da950d6a2ee7412c4b9d40.png

image.thumb.png.7127fc7664ea742c37bbaa8af779a4bc.png

It's only a matter of time before the 6000 CAPE shows itself in Late May, the GEFS is starting to pick it up.

• LIKE 1