May 7-28, 2022 | Severe Weather/MCS Sequence

ElectricStorm

• Meteorologist

SPC says it should keep going until it reaches the lake shore which is about 50 miles away from the rotation. So about another hour of this.

Mesoscale Discussion 0844
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0252 PM CDT Fri May 20 2022

Areas affected...northern Lower Michigan

Concerning...Severe Thunderstorm Watch 252...

Valid 201952Z - 202145Z

The severe weather threat for Severe Thunderstorm Watch 252
   continues.

SUMMARY...A tornadic supercell may persist as it travels
   east/northeast toward Lake Huron.

DISCUSSION...The storm complex that crossed Lake MI has indeed
   evolved into a supercell, which has become tornadic as it
   encountered the warmer surface-based air mass. This storm is
   currently producing a tornado near Gaylord, MI.  The air mass
   remains relatively warm for the duration of the expected storm track
   over the next couple hours, and the 19Z APX sounding shows plenty of
   low-level shear with 0-1 values around 280 m2/s2. This is higher
   than objective analysis had earlier indicated. As such, the tornado
   threat is expected to persist until the storm encounters the cooler
   air near the lake.

• Meteorologist

Pretty crazy sounding for OV standards. Really looks more like a Plains thermo profile. I wonder if this is the beginning of a trend for this summer, given the Plains drought.

Getting some sustained windy conditions here with some strong gusts. The strong low-level winds here combined with dry low-level conditions makes sense now. Got respectable elevated instability in place but I still have serious questions about tomorrow. Gonna hold off on that until more 0z runs come in. A nice little preview: I don't trust a positive tilt trough with a southeastward advancing cold front to produce a widespread slight risk

image.thumb.png.529d033605550857c05358fc071432e6.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
3 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

So I applied for a vacancy for NWS Memphis back in January, didn't get far with them, but I got a call like a week and a half ago from them saying another vacancy has opened up. They asked me to do a video presentation on some general things about my accomplishments/my goals/NWS... did that, just heard back that they want to do an interview. Gonna be my second NWS interview. Fingers crossed. 

Good luck! You'd be a great addition to the weather service.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 2
  • THANKS 1
  • LOVE 1

• Meteorologist
21 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

Good luck! You'd be a great addition to the weather service.

I appreciate it, and I hope so. I just need an office to take a chance on me. Granted, it's also on me because I don't have an impressive resume and I need to get better at interviews. But as long as I keep getting chances, I'm happy. I think I'll get there eventually.

20 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

It will find a way to bust. Seems to the trend 🙄

I really felt that this event was a stretch from the beginning because of the positive tilt. I guess a part of it is preparing myself for disappointment. But also positive tilts are almost never good for strong to severe storms. 12/10/21 was an extreme exception.

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1

5 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

So I applied for a vacancy for NWS Memphis back in January, didn't get far with them, but I got a call like a week and a half ago from them saying another vacancy has opened up. They asked me to do a video presentation on some general things about my accomplishments/my goals/NWS... did that, just heard back that they want to do an interview. Gonna be my second NWS interview. Fingers crossed. 

Best of luck I'm sure you're going to nail it.   Everyone here is in your corner. 

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

32 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

This would be a big win for us in western Ohio. I will remain pessimistic until I see it actually unfold

image.thumb.png.5ef8037e3fc33ad2af0bc042a34296e3.png

This would be quite the straight-line wind event if it verified but I have my doubts. Still a bit early for our season to kick off.

Hopefully optimistic on my end.

Edited by NWOhioChaser
  • LIKE 2

7 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Good luck, buddy!  You’ve got this!

Edited by Columbusbuckeye

• Admin
9 hours ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

yes-baby.gif

• LIKE 1