May 7-28, 2022 | Severe Weather/MCS Sequence

ElectricStorm

• Meteorologist

Sounding out ahead of these cells... verbatim there wouldn't be much severe threat due to weak instability. However, HRRR is known to overestimate mixing and the wind profile is very favorable for supercells. Not something to neglect. The western half of Kentucky is very much in the picture for severe weather tomorrow IMO.

image.png

image.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist
2 hours ago, Neoncyclone said:

Not sure if this has ever been shared here, but a lot of us know of Cameron Nixon's work with hodographs, this video explains a ton I learned a lot.

I'm glad he finally did a video. He taught his training with our office for our workshop this year back in March and at that time he hadn't done a video yet but he said it was on the menu. 

• LIKE 3

• Meteorologist

Seeing redevelopment behind the MCS. Strong shear but instability is elevated and mostly weak. No surprise there are some cells that are trying to take the shape of supercells but I doubt they'll have much success unless mesoanalysis is underestimating elevated instability... which is certainly possible.

051822-2.PNG

• Meteorologist

Nasty looking hodograph until you realize the hodograph is scaled to size and that 500mb winds are only 20-30 knots. Looks like a damn hodograph in Alabama in March

• Meteorologist

Tomorrow should be interesting. Easy to see two swaths of potentially significant severe weather. Right now, based on HRRR, it seems like both regions are mostly non-tornadic due to strong low-level mixing. However, it is the HRRR so I won't be surprised to see that it overestimated mixing.

Hodographs in MN/WI are pretty crazy so that's the obvious place to watch. But MO/KY also needs watched due to the potential for a lot of instability if HRRR has been overmixing the BL

floop-hrrr-2022051900.refcmp.us_mw.gif

• Meteorologist

I gotta say, @OKwx_2001, I think we should put the end date for this thread at around May 27. If you look at these ensemble means (GFS/ECMWF), the longwave trough responsible for this severe weather regime retreats around the 27th, then we enter in yet another western trough regime, albeit definitely different. Obviously that'll require a new thread because a western trough in June is guaranteed to be trouble. 

It's been an absolutely incredible spring in terms of western troughs. 

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_fh0-360.gif

eps_z500a_namer_fh0-360.gif

• LIKE 2

• The title was changed to May 7-27?, 2022 | Severe Weather/MCS Sequence