April 27-May 6, 2022 | Tornado Outbreak Sequence

ElectricStorm

• Meteorologist

Supercell behavior is just absolutely fascinating. Not sure if this is a new supercell developing or what, but a new meso/tornadic circulation appears to be developing south of Vernon. This puts Oklaunion in the crossheir.

image.thumb.png.a9b4647c6db20c0ab4781b924dc09883.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist

Per HRRR, we still have about 5 hours of significant severe weather. The tornado threat will likely lower quite a bit once the MCS starts to develop, but the MCS still looks really nasty, and shear strongly favors continued tornadoes.

floop-hrrr-2022050501.refcmp.us_sc.gif

• Meteorologist

For the first time in several hours, looks like the Texas supercell might not warrant a tornado warning soon. But the newer Oklahoma supercell still warrants a tornado warning and has some serious potential even though it hasn't produced a confirmed tornado warning in a while.

Also wouldn't rule out the original Oklahoma supercell for a new tornado.

image.thumb.png.877f6c00fccd7b7e310d097471cfc943.png

• LIKE 1

• Admin
3 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Yeah that's EF3-4 range. Not surprised at all about that actually.

Man. Will chasers ever learn not to be left of a very powerful tornado... I hope those chasers are OK. 

• Meteorologist
2 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

Man. Will chasers ever learn not to be left of a very powerful tornado... I hope those chasers are OK. 

In their defense, much like the veteran chasers who died in the 2013 El Reno tornado, sometimes these dramatic left turns are unpredictable. I don't think anyone saw this one coming. Tornadoes that take a left turn don't usually last long, and they usually weaken while they do it.

Just now, Uscg Ast said:

Personally.. I would have included OKC... But they have just a littlleee bit more experience than me. 😅

Warm front is south of OKC and just south of Norman now so there's not really much of a tornado threat for OKC. SPC mentioned putting up a severe thunderstorm watch for areas north of the front 

• Admin
Just now, ClicheVortex2014 said:

In their defense, much like the veteran chasers who died in the 2013 El Reno tornado, sometimes these dramatic left turns are unpredictable. I don't think anyone saw this one coming.

But herein lies the rub to me. That RFD is inherently unpredictable. So when that finally occludes and cuts off... It's without notice and you are left to suffer the full intensity of the cyclone combined with the demise of it on top of you 😕

• Admin
8 minutes ago, OKwx_2001 said:

Warm front is south of OKC and just south of Norman now so there's not really much of a tornado threat for OKC. SPC mentioned putting up a severe thunderstorm watch for areas north of the front 

I have no doubt they're likely correct.. My concern becomes how quickly these MCS can change the atmosphere. 

OKC is right on that line. It won't take much to move that front and an MCS.. I've seen it do weirder things. 

Then again severe wx is not my specialty. I may just be spouting nonsense and backing it up in my head with my "knowledge" 😂

• Meteorologist
12 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

But herein lies the rub to me. That RFD is inherently unpredictable. So when that finally occludes and cuts off... It's without notice and you are left to suffer the full intensity of the cyclone combined with the demise of it on top of you 😕

Well that is fair... in this case, any chaser that got caught in the tornado would've been torrential rainfall before it occludes. Not sure why they would've been there in the first place. But then again I'm not a chaser so they might've had a reason

• LIKE 1

26 minutes ago, Uscg Ast said:

Debris sig looks like it hit about 17-18k feet. That's pretty damn strong. 

I still can never figure out how to use the 2D slice feature to find such information. Here is my best try.

kfdr_20220505_0208_CC.png

• Meteorologist
3 minutes ago, Chinook said:

I still can never figure out how to use the 2D slice feature to find such information. Here is my best try.

kfdr_20220505_0208_CC.png

I really struggle with it and you might have something there but typically you want to see a tilted plume of low CCs. The low CC above 20k feet might be hail but you also might've got lucky with finding debris. Not sure. I'm sure I'll find it on my Twitter feed eventually.

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

I really struggle with it and you might have something there but typically you want to see a tilted plume of low CCs. The low CC above 20k feet might be hail but you also might've got lucky with finding debris. Not sure. I'm sure I'll find it on my Twitter feed eventually.

You've gotta think about the winds aloft and predict where the debris plume would be in a cross section. I somewhat rarely have success using GR2. I suspect there's another radar program that makes it easier.