April 21-23(?), 2022 | Severe Weather

ClicheVortex2014

4 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

There's a Supercell NW of Plainview, TX that already has a Couplet.

I'm seeing the rotation on the LBB radar of the left-side couplet, where the updraft is to the north side of this possibly splitting cell.

• Meteorologist
16 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

It already looks like that the Tornado-Warned Supercell has a CC drop.

Nah that's just hail. You can confirm it with Zdr... near-zero or negative values with lower CC means hail. Also gotta match the CC drop with the rotation... if it's not stacked it's not a debris signature

• LIKE 1

8 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

Can't remember the last time I've seen so many LP supercells on such a large scale producing significant severe weather

image.png

Tornado Alley was unusually quiet in the past 2 years, but it't now waking up once again . . . 

Local TV met said that Saturday's event is likely a "Cap Buster", cold air aloft will weaken the cap & strong forcing appears likely as well, Saturday could be the day that will finally produce some storms. (I don't want Tornadoes & massive hail of course, Lol)

Take this model with a grain of Salt, but then again . . . 

Edited by Iceresistance

Hi quick break in to show off my slight lack of identification skills but this is the Southeast likely tornado/wind spot you mentioned for tomorrow, right? Would be good since I have Casselton or Enderlin as a initial post location for tomorrow.image.png.a3284b28c22100fda4ae5d10b6f9c779.png

11 minutes ago, SteelCentral said:

Hi quick break in to show off my slight lack of identification skills but this is the Southeast likely tornado/wind spot you mentioned for tomorrow, right? Would be good since I have Casselton or Enderlin as a initial post location for tomorrow.image.png.a3284b28c22100fda4ae5d10b6f9c779.png

Looking at the HRRR, both of those options seem solid to me. Looks like a early-mid afternoon event up there. Storms may be moving pretty fast, but if anything can remain discrete it should have some tornado potential

refcmp.us_nc.thumb.png.6f159db1e2785be637ffcb7143de11c8.png

3 hours ago, Neoncyclone said:

Here's the supercell in SD that I'm looking at for tornado potential tonight, if it stalls on the cool side of the warm front like models had been suggesting earlier today it would definitely have some potential for one or two brief, probably photogenic tornadoes. (as the high plains do)

Screenshot_20220422-174836_RadarScope.jpg

Looks like this supercell did produce a tornado, maybe I am getting better at this forecasting/nowcasting thing

• Meteorologist
25 minutes ago, SteelCentral said:

Yeah not sure why the soundings earlier were showing they're elevated because this run definitely doesn't.

Probably would have >2" hail threat and maybe a tornado threat. Upper level winds are kinda chaotic which might argue against cell longevity

image.png

image.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

32 minutes ago, Neoncyclone said:

Very pronounced V-notch, no doubt that's one intense updraft, looks like it might be splitting.

I could get some big points out of that

kama_20220423_0207_BR1.jpg

kddc_20220423_0203_BR1.jpg

kddc_20220423_0216_BR1.jpg

kddc_20220423_0137_BR1.jpg

Edited by Chinook
  • LIKE 1