April 21-23(?), 2022 | Severe Weather

ClicheVortex2014

Man my money is on South Dakota today, if supercells really do develop there. Just a little low-level cape will go a lonnnng way, We'll have to see if the inversion holds.

The supercells that form in South Dakota almost seem to anchor to the top of the warm sector, we've seen what can happen in that situation.

some crazy SRH as well.

Here's a sounding just ahead of a developing supercell, 18z HRRR.

1564024703_Screenshot2022-04-22141352.thumb.png.ec6f900085813a4ccc7656e2909da381.png

Edited by Neoncyclone

9 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

They're thinking Supercell action in Oklahoma, but I have a feeling that this is going to overperform BIG TIME!

I don't really see this overperforming overall as it should go linear pretty quickly. That being said, it only takes one to make it a memorable event. 

In any case I'm pretty confident we'll end up getting some solid storms, unlike the last few events here. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see an enhanced risk for wind but that might be a low chance. 

Edited by OKwx_2001

38 minutes ago, SteelCentral said:

First post here and First chase of mine coming Saturday 

Any insight from the smarter folk here on 4/23 conditions? Specifically on the Fargo area storms, and the where/when for anything notable. 

Welcome to the forum! As for details, @ClicheVortex2014, @Ingyball, @OKwx_2001, and @Neoncyclone would be better suited to answer that question (sorry if i left anyone out). 

• LIKE 3

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, SteelCentral said:

First post here and First chase of mine coming Saturday 

Any insight from the smarter folk here on 4/23 conditions? Specifically on the Fargo area storms, and the where/when for anything notable. 

This part of the system is really all you have to worry about. They're elevated storms so just a hail threat if it makes it as far east as Fargo. The tornado/possibly higher wind threat will be to your southeast. Timing is early afternoon.

image.thumb.png.9627b5ce2a5c24ce5d6311b96b1059f8.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

Soundings from the Panhandle and SW KS. Overall pretty dry and DDC is capped but I'd imagine it won't be for much longer.

AMA has superadiabatic near-surface lapse rates. 7 degree temp difference in 500 feet. If that rate of cooling continues to 1km, there would be a 45 degree difference. In other words, 45C/km lapse rates. 9C/km is considered very steep.

The ongoing drought plus daytime heating and modest dew points contribute to this layer

image.thumb.png.96dbe1d5ece59944351770b06ffc8ce4.png

image.thumb.png.4550241daa2297d6ec6e844b346894da.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1

Here's the supercell in SD that I'm looking at for tornado potential tonight, if it stalls on the cool side of the warm front like models had been suggesting earlier today it would definitely have some potential for one or two brief, probably photogenic tornadoes. (as the high plains do)

Screenshot_20220422-174836_RadarScope.jpg

Edited by Neoncyclone