April 21-23(?), 2022 | Severe Weather

ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist

These cells look nasty but for higher end tornado potential I’d expect to see higher end inbounds or outbounds. Supercell organization can be a good precursor to tornadogenesis so we’ll see but I don’t think we’re gonna see anything too strong

10F36647-76E7-4CB5-9CD9-74914393BD45.png

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

If there was anything to complain about with this environment, I'd like to see the surface wind backed a bit more. Not a ton of turning in that lowest part of the atmosphere. 

OUNsounding.PNG

Edit: There's obviously VBV and lapse rates aren't amazing, but those would have been things that impacted storm growth, which hasn't been the case. More likely than not it's the lowest kilometer that kept this from spinning a tornado up. 

Edited by Ingyball
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
8 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

If there was anything to complain about with this environment, I'd like to see the surface wind backed a bit more. Not a ton of turning in that lowest part of the atmosphere. 

OUNsounding.PNG

That’s really a Plains-privileged complaint 😂 I’m used to southwest surface winds with those low and mid-level winds.

Honestly I think that kinda skinny instability profile might be an issue with that shear. 2400 cape but only -5 LI. Updrafts might be a little too lazy

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

That’s really a Plains-privileged complaint 😂 I’m used to southeast surface winds with those low and mid-level winds.

Honestly I think that kinda skinny instability profile might be an issue with that shear. 2400 cape but only -5 LI. Updrafts might be a little too lazy

Yeah that too, skinny CAPE was something we had been talking about in the office this week. 

• LIKE 2

NWS Norman saying two areas of rotation on the tornado warned cell.

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Norman OK
829 PM CDT Sat Apr 23 2022

OKC081-109-125-240200-
/O.CON.KOUN.TO.W.0016.000000T0000Z-220424T0200Z/
Lincoln OK-Oklahoma OK-Pottawatomie OK-
829 PM CDT Sat Apr 23 2022

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 900 PM CDT FOR
SOUTHWESTERN LINCOLN...SOUTHEASTERN OKLAHOMA AND NORTHWESTERN
POTTAWATOMIE COUNTIES...

At 829 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located near Harrah, moving east at 30 mph. There is second
area of rotation located northwest of Harrah that may also produce a
tornado.

HAZARD...Tornado and ping pong ball size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
         shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage
         to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree damage is
         likely.

Locations impacted include...
Shawnee, Choctaw, Harrah, McLoud and Jones.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a storm shelter, safe room, or an interior
room on the lowest floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you
are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest
substantial shelter and protect yourself from flying debris.

Heavy rainfall may hide this tornado. Do not wait to see or hear the
tornado. TAKE COVER NOW!

&&

LAT...LON 3541 9721 3554 9731 3565 9698 3542 9693
TIME...MOT...LOC 0129Z 255DEG 24KT 3547 9717

TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED
MAX HAIL SIZE...1.50 IN

New watch in effect until 4am. Second round coming my way. Shouldn't be anything tornadic but could be some strong winds/hail. Not sure how late I'm gonna stay up I guess that depends on if anything interesting makes its way over here. This event was already pretty big for this area so anything else is just a bonus at this point. 

ww0151_radar.gif.ef0f4b9c037f3154849e39d02d428077.gif

I'm just thankful we didn't see better conditions today. With the tracks of some of the supercells earlier today, even just slightly better conditions to help wrap up the rotations could have meant multiple tornadoes moving through populated areas. That being said, even though there wasn't much tornado activity, this was one of the more intense slight risk days I've experienced. 

• LIKE 1

I forgot to tell Y'all that I was a crazy person last night, I was outside at the Trees watching the somewhat close Lightning Barrage from the 2nd Supercell that occluded to the North for hours, and I moved to the Porch (It was covered thankfully) to watch the 3rd Supercell with photogenic (I wished I took the photos & videos) lightning.

1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

I forgot to tell Y'all that I was a crazy person last night, I was outside at the Trees watching the somewhat close Lightning Barrage from the 2nd Supercell that occluded to the North for hours, and I moved to the Porch (It was covered thankfully) to watch the 3rd Supercell with photogenic (I wished I took the photos & videos) lightning.

Lol I went out in the road to try to get a look in the hook echo that was coming at me. Didn't see much as we have a terrible view for storms from the house I'm staying in. Too many trees lol

6 minutes ago, OKwx_2001 said:

Lol I went out in the road to try to get a look in the hook echo that was coming at me. Didn't see much as we have a terrible view for storms from the house I'm staying in. Too many trees lol

I have tree issues too, but there's a solid clearing to the south (I live on top of a Hill) and to the west.