April 18-19, 2022 | Spring "Winter" Storm

telejunkie

• Admin

Diverted due to a road closed on my way to the job, guessing a tree is down. I actually keep my chainsaw in the trunk in case of an emergency, whether that be weather, zombie, or Sharknado related.

• LAUGH 7

Its amazing how elevation dependent this storm was.  Here in Ebensburg we maybe got 2" as the heavier precip was sleet slop.  Drive a few miles east on rte 22 and the snow quickly piles up.  

I was impressed by this storm for the 18th of April.  I had a truckload of freezer beef to pick up in Hollidaysburg down off the mountain and though eh, sun angle, april 18th it will be a little rough but nothing I cant navigate.  Roads just had a little slush when I left, but As @BigMirgsaid earlier every road that went down off the mountain was closed.  Not so much impassible but I dont think anyone anticipated this and trucks and people who took snow tires off were screwed. I was lucky enough to turn around beforehand.    

Honestly can say it was worse than the pre thanksgiving storm a few years ago.  Heavy sloppy slippy shit made it worse in comparison.  

Edited by Cdfarabaugh
  • LIKE 3

5 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Its amazing how elevation dependent this storm was.  Here in Ebensburg we maybe got 2" as the heavier precip was sleet slop.  Drive a few miles east on rte 22 and the snow quickly piles up.  

I was impressed by this storm for the 18th of April.  I had a truckload of freezer beef to pick up in Hollidaysburg down off the mountain and though eh, sun angle, april 18th it will be a little rough but nothing I cant navigate.  Roads just had a little slush when I left, but As @BigMirgsaid earlier every road that went down off the mountain was closed.  Not so much impassible but I dont think anyone anticipated this and trucks and people who took snow tires off were screwed. I was lucky enough to turn around beforehand.    

Honestly can say it was worse than the pre thanksgiving storm a few years ago.  Heavy sloppy slippy shit made it worse in comparison.  

That was the worst the roads have been when I’ve been here. Something about spring snow seems slicker than winter. I think it has to do with the layer of water underneath the snow since the ground isn’t frozen. I bout bit it twice coming up Knob Rd around 12. It deteriorated rapidly after that. Lucky to get home when I did. 

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

I took my son to work this morning and roads were terrible with the worst driving conditions of the "winter". Lots of large limbs and small trees down.  I even saw a Subaru off the side of the road.  I measured  4 1/2" on my garbage can.

• LIKE 3

Looking at local snow reports, the highest total I have seen so far is 9 1/2" reported from Lake Placid at 8 am.  There's a report of 5" near me, so my 4 1/2" looks to be accurate.  Temp is still 32 with some snow continuing to fall.  Supposedly it is supposed to turn to rain soon and may rain to about 1 pm.

Our forecast was for the snow to turn to rain starting at  8 this morning but the snow continues.  It is currently 35 and I don't expect we see any more accumulations, but the snow on the ground won't be the typical April snow where it is melted by noon.  I expect to see some pretty high totals from the nearby higher peaks.

image.thumb.png.10dad0a73da3fd8546b45d5a48fb0f75.png

• LIKE 4
  • LOVE 1

• Meteorologist
14 hours ago, BigMirg said:

It appears they had complaints on that fact. Revised map. The Blue Knob dot is tiny. Lol. 

D5F37DDD-0B1B-41C5-B228-472B0FAD4600.jpeg

Oh much better yea I remember there were some flakes mixed in the heavier rains, mostly just the splat from the drops really, as I was driving through york but that was about it. Im sure there were a few spots that managed something out that way but melted fairly quickly.