April 11-13, 2022 | Tornado Outbreak

ClicheVortex2014

• Meteorologist

FWIW... sounding comparison at Wichita between GFS and NAM. Both models have pretty good agreement about the strength of the inversion.

Other than that... the moist layer is much shallower on GFS... much deeper on NAM. Despite that, GFS has a dew point 6 degrees higher.

image.thumb.png.22c49b4adc2c169e6b0d7ff101ee0ab3.png

image.thumb.png.94051b97d5c0ab36a107aaddfd43b6c8.png

I have not looked at a lot of this before tonight. In my opinion, I don't like to post much about severe weather outbreaks beyond about 84 hours since the synoptic forecast is not always terribly accurate. I say this also partially because the NAM is somewhat helpful at 84 hours. Since this discussion is going, I'll post a super cool graphic. This is the GFS supercell composite with 500mb wind barb overlays. Tuesday night certainly has the most interesting SCP value but may not be the most severe day of the week, due to capping, and lots of details may change.

gfs_2022-04-09-00Z_096_45.944_251.067_28.056_275.267_Sup-Comp-Par_Effective_Winds_500.png

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

@ClicheVortex2014Can you do the 0z Canadian soundings for Oklahoma, Kansas, & Missouri?

I’m at work til 4… I’m able to pull up the soundings here but I’m not gonna log onto the forum while I’m here. I’ll share the latest Canadian when I get home… though I will say I don’t think many people put much stock in the model at least for severe weather purposes

• THANKS 1

• Meteorologist
8 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

@ClicheVortex2014Can you do the 0z Canadian soundings for Oklahoma, Kansas, & Missouri?

As I suspected, Canadian can be thrown out. It's clearly the outlier with respect to moisture content among the other models. I clicked through a bunch of locations and they're all just relatively dry and/or capped.

models-2022040912-f084.sfctd_b.us_c.gif

• Meteorologist

No storms develop on NAM through 06z except for near the low, and too late for the storms to be particularly dangerous. This would open the window wide open for Wednesday for S MO/AR.

image.thumb.png.6832c1f05b8af141042c8d2e34efc9da.png

image.thumb.png.e29f8087756641fca0f71576eaac38cb.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

Seems like it's gonna be a pretty fine line between boom or bust on Tuesday. I'm honestly a little surprised the SPC put up the 30% area since most of the models are currently showing a cap bust. They must be pretty confident that it's going to break.

17 minutes ago, OKwx_2001 said:

Seems like it's gonna be a pretty fine line between boom or bust on Tuesday. I'm honestly a little surprised the SPC put up the 30% area since most of the models are currently showing a cap bust. They must be pretty confident that it's going to break.

It seems like that the models underestimate on the Cap Strength, they must be noticing that most of the Ensemble members (GEFS, ENS, & CMCE) are blowing up with storms across Oklahoma & Kansas

27 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

It seems like that the models underestimate on the Cap Strength, they must be noticing that most of the Ensemble members (GEFS, ENS, & CMCE) are blowing up with storms across Oklahoma & Kansas

I trust the SPC way more than the models, so unless they change their outlooks I'm assuming we're going to see storms firing on the dryline. 

3 minutes ago, OKwx_2001 said:

I trust the SPC way more than the models, so unless they change their outlooks I'm assuming we're going to see storms firing on the dryline. 

They might go with the Enhanced/Moderate with "The Cap could prevent any storm from develop". The Cap is notoriously difficult to forecast, with daytime heating usually weakening it more than expected.

Edited by Iceresistance

• Meteorologist

CIPS analogs still mostly like the mid-MS valley/lower OV for Wednesday. Lately GFS has been showing a secondary severe weather area in the lower OV. Granted, this isn't a coincidence since these analogs are based on GFS... but Wednesday is one of those days where there may be two severe weather areas, with the lower OV pulling some surprises.

image.png.b2c2f4fba304487128a7647d48f196ff.png

image.thumb.png.2232184cdd2486790ecf4cbe6dbc61f3.png

W KY

image.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • THUMBS UP 1