April 11-13, 2022 | Tornado Outbreak

ClicheVortex2014

18 minutes ago, Grace said:

Looks like rotation is going to stay south of Mayfield by a few miles

thank goodness. I just saw something about Murray and Benton ... am so glad the university had already canceled many of the activities scheduled for today. 

• Meteorologist
21 minutes ago, 1816 said:

Not sure if you guys talk about it or not but the big difference between the west(plains?) and the south is the population density. There are towns every 10 miles all across the south. Out west there's sometimes hundreds of miles between towns. Yesterday no one got hurt. Same kind of storms in the deep south always kill people. 

That, and the South is the most prone to nighttime tornadoes, strong to violent tornadoes (at least in the past decade), and long-track tornadoes in general. The South also has the most mobile homes. Recipe for disasters.

Safe to say the warm front has passed here. Kinda muggy especially with the sun poking out

0B765D56-9B74-417E-B1D4-BD25A138625B.jpeg

• LIKE 4

6 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

That, and the South is the most prone to nighttime tornadoes, strong to violent tornadoes (at least in the past decade), and long-track tornadoes in general. The South also has the most mobile homes. Recipe for disasters.

Safe to say the warm front has passed here. Kinda muggy especially with the sun poking out

0B765D56-9B74-417E-B1D4-BD25A138625B.jpeg

Yeah just said this when I walked in the door from work. Definitely more humid out now than earlier. 

• Meteorologist

SW OH may not get a watch but that doesn't mean the severe/tornado threat can be ignored... as is obvious by the previous post. We've got the warm front in our vicinity which can always lead to some surprises.

image.png.0c544e0e7da2c2b5cde5de8e8b60330e.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

8 minutes ago, ak9971 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a tornado warning on this soon. Couplet shown in Indy and Louisville radars. 

image.png

Annnnd there it is. 

Just now, ClicheVortex2014 said:

SW OH may not get a watch but that doesn't mean the severe/tornado threat can be ignored... as is obvious by the previous post

image.png.0c544e0e7da2c2b5cde5de8e8b60330e.png

Yeah I’d be surprised if they didn’t at least issue a severe thunderstorm watch in southern Ohio  to cover their bases considering how the line has developed. 

• Meteorologist
4 minutes ago, ak9971 said:

Annnnd there it is. 

Yeah I’d be surprised if they didn’t at least issue a severe thunderstorm watch in southern Ohio  to cover their bases considering how the line has developed. 

I slightly disagree regarding SW OH... maybe it's pessimism... but it's up to SPC and they only put a 40% chance on that MCD that doesn't even cover Cincy. It's possible they do go ahead and decide to issue a watch and include most of SW OH despite not being delineated in the MCD (seen that before)

We've got a 100 knot 500mb jet streak pushing into our region with the negative tilt. Never underestimate a negative tilt. So between that and the warm front, I won't be surprised to see severe warnings continue into SW OH. But a watch? I dunno. Maybe if SPC said 'watch likely' on that MCD.

image.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

2 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

I slightly disagree regarding SW OH... maybe it's pessimism... but it's up to SPC and they only put a 40% chance on that MCD that doesn't even cover Cincy. It's possible they do go ahead and decide to issue a watch and include most of SW OH despite not being delineated in the MCD (seen that before)

We've got a 100 knot 500mb jet streak pushing into our region with the negative tilt. Never underestimate a negative tilt. So between that and the warm front, I won't be surprised to see severe warnings continue into SW OH. But a watch? I dunno. Maybe if SPC said 'watch likely' on that MCD.

image.png

I agree, they ultimately control the watches and seem doubtful it’ll be warranted. We shall see. 

• LIKE 1