February 24-26, 2022 | Winter Storm "Livin' on the Edge"

BuckeyeGal

• Moderators

Well, I wondered why my phone just got so slow loading…no wi-fi….power just went out.  But at least the coffee just got done “perking”.   No complaints yet.

Time to bring in wood and fire up the genny.

• LIKE 4
  • DISAPPOINTED 1

Quickly stepped outside and the bannister on my back steps had a few icy spots on it. Other than that, everything is still just wet. 

I live equidistant between KCMH and KOSU and I had to LOL and share the temperature history for both sites overnight. I mean, c’mon. Apparently it’s near impossible to get a decent winter storm, of any magnitude/precipitation, here. 

200C6EDA-E45D-4587-A813-A91582222BBF.jpeg

0023D102-3740-4EF7-9B0F-48FF09F48162.jpeg

• YUCK 1

• Moderators

Back in business with “temporary” power.  Light post next to where I hooked up the generator.  Cool.

More pics later but don’t think we’ll be getting much sun to accentuate the ice.

F6F444F7-3F14-4851-A304-E76EB1677681.jpeg

• LIKE 2
  • SHOCKED 1
  • LOVE 2

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Trees are crackling in the breeze this morning

20220225_064402.jpg

Now that I have the laptop fired up I see buds!  What type of early-budding tree is that??

Roads were good this morning from Greenwood to Mooresville. I did see trees and power lines on the drive in had some areas with hanging ice from power lines and such. But for the most part the roads couldnt hold the ice well because of the warm days before. Thank goodness.  Looks like almost a whiff here. Dusting of snow on top of that, maybe.

13 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

With the forecasted moderate temps across the region, once that late February sun does poke out, the ice won’t last long. 

Was hoping we would get a sunny sunrise 1 morning before it melted. Now I'm more concerned about the wind "breaking off" alot of it before Sunday 

Well now it looks like it could happen tomorrow. Says mostly sunny

Edited by Ohiobuckeye45
  • THUMBS UP 1

22 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

With the forecasted moderate temps across the region, once that late February sun does poke out, the ice won’t last long. 

Yea I won’t be able to get a picture at the house by the time I get back from work. Sucks but it is what it is. 

• DISAPPOINTED 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

That's my buckeye tree. Believe it or not, that's how it looks all winter.

Interesting.  I have a small one out in the field I planted but never looked at in the winter.  Will need to check.  Thx.

Not as much as I thought when power was flickering but more than I went to bed thinking we would get. Was hoping for pictures close to those Illinois ones but its scenic. Its also absolutely freezing, that wind is brutal. My other targets will have to wait until tomorrow lol

20220225_080903.jpg

20220225_081029.jpg

20220225_080748.jpg

20220225_080628.jpg

20220225_080553.jpg

20220225_080532.jpg

20220225_080452.jpg

• LIKE 6
  • THUMBS UP 1

13 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Interesting.  I have a small one out in the field I planted but never looked at in the winter.  Will need to check.  Thx.

Mine might be a unique situation though - I moved to this property 9 years ago & that tree has battled some kind of late summer disease just about every year. It's always the first to lose its leaves because of this & is usually leaf-free by late September...Here's the weird part...because the leaves are lost so early & we typically have some decent warmth into October, it actually starts to bud/leaf-out sometime in mid/late October! So, those 'early buds' you see are actually left over from the October budding. Very strange! 

• LIKE 1

Only had about an inch when I left for work this morning, but was expecting 1-2” more through the morning. Unfortunately I work in an assembly plant that has no windows so no idea if we ever got that. Roads weren’t great but the drivers on them made them more difficult than the snow.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Mine might be a unique situation though - I moved to this property 9 years ago & that tree has battled some kind of late summer disease just about every year. It's always the first to lose its leaves because of this & is usually leaf-free by late September...Here's the weird part...because the leaves are lost so early & we typically have some decent warmth into October, it actually starts to bud/leaf-out sometime in mid/late October! So, those 'early buds' you see are actually left over from the October budding. Very strange! 

Is it possible its a Horse Chestnut?

See #1.   https://sloely.com/horse-chestnut-trees/

We might have to continue the conversation in the Flora and Fauna section. 😃

9 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Is it possible its a Horse Chestnut?

See #1.   https://sloely.com/horse-chestnut-trees/

We might have to continue the conversation in the Flora and Fauna section. 😃

It's definitely a Buckeye. I've had an arborist come & look at it & treat the summer disease.

Edited by MesoscaleBanding

Woke up to about 2.1" of accum. Barely hit the low end of forecast, but there was a lot of dry air working into the storm around midnight which just shut the storm off for us. Roads slick but its sunny out there so shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

Should be our last accum chance of the month! 

Edited by NWOhioChaser