February 24-26, 2022 | Winter Storm "Livin' on the Edge"

BuckeyeGal

Just now, 1816 said:

I don't even know why they still have these zr maps. It's what would happen if every drop of rain froze on contact. How can they not fix it to be a bit more realistic.  

The Fram tries to improve this but yeah, total freezing qpf is pointless. 

• LIKE 2

2 minutes ago, 1816 said:

I don't even know why they still have these zr maps. It's what would happen if every drop of rain froze on contact. How can they not fix it to be a bit more realistic.  

Right, but even if 40-50% of those totals verify, it would still easily surpass ISW criteria.

Edited by MesoscaleBanding

4 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Right, but even if 40-50% of those totals verify, it would still easily surpass ISW criteria.

Not often we get 50 percent of what they show down this way. More like 10-15. But zr is so temp dependent and rate dependent. That picture out of southern Illinois I saw earlier looked gnarly. 

• THUMBS UP 1

4 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

True. Be interesting to see if those percentages even come about. Of course, the difference between high end advisory of ice and ice storm warning means little when it comes to driving. Power outage potential is the bigger issue. 

• THUMBS UP 1

Snow switched to freezing drizzle/rain here. The snow that has fallen is developing an icy crust now. Wasn’t sure if it would make it up this far or not. Something about warm air and winning, the saying goes, if I recall correctly. 

• LIKE 2

Coming down way too heavy here now, I actually think thr northern fringes of the lighter QPF might actually see the higher accretion, or those that get lighter pockets/breaks. But models are showing more now than what they did when the storm started several hours ago

zr_acc.us_ov (20).png

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Coming down way too heavy here now, I actually think thr northern fringes of the lighter QPF might actually see the higher accretion, or those that get lighter pockets/breaks. But models are showing more now than what they did when the storm started several hours ago

zr_acc.us_ov (20).png

Yep. Heavy zr is beneficial to lower accretion. 

1 minute ago, Iceresistance said:

Unless the Temperatures are in the 20s & lower. (Which is not the case there, even though I once had Freezing rain in the Teens)

I've always felt 25 was the dividing line. Upper 20s hammers trees and power lines but a lot of times main roads can hold up. Buy below 25 it really does seem like every drop freezes. That's solid ice block territory.