February 24-26, 2022 | Winter Storm "Livin' on the Edge"

BuckeyeGal

• Meteorologist
10 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

The CoC (Center of Circulation) seems like that it's literally over the radar! If that was from a Storm or a Supercell, it would be immediately Tornado Warned

It's not actually a rotation or circulation because it's right over the radar. Reds are away from radar, greens are toward the radar. So at that tilt, 200 feet or so, it's just showing winds out of the northeast (roughly)

But if that kind of signature was seen away from the radar, yeah, it would be a significant signature for either convergence or divergence... tornadic rotation or microburst, respectively, depending on where it is relative to the radar

Edited by ClicheVortex2014
  • LIKE 1

Mesoscale Discussion 0185 NWS Storm Prediction Center

Norman OK 0524 PM CST Thu Feb 24 2022

Areas affected...Parts of southern IL...central IN...OH...and western PA

Concerning...Winter mixed precipitation

Valid 242324Z - 250330Z

SUMMARY...A mix of primarily freezing rain and sleet will continue spreading northeastward into the evening hours. DISCUSSION...Latest mosaic radar imagery depicts a large shield of moderate to locally heavy winter mixed precipitation spreading northeastward across parts of the Ohio Valley this afternoon, where surface observations show freezing rain rates upwards of 0.05 in/hour. This precipitation is being aided by a broad area of isentropic ascent within the warm conveyor belt of a developing low-pressure system over the Ohio Valley vicinity (where surface pressure falls are being maximized). Over the next several hours, this low-pressure system will continue to deepen and organize, resulting in strengthening ascent and the maintenance of the moderate to heavy winter mixed precipitation expanding northeastward from southern IL into far western PA. Forecast soundings depict warm nose temperatures in excess of 3 C in association with the strengthening low-level warm advection regime, which will support full melting of descending hydrometeors prior to refreezing within a somewhat shallow subfreezing surface layer. This will generally support freezing rain as the predominant precipitation type, though areas of sleet will also be possible with northward extent across the discussion area, where a deeper subfreezing surface layer will exist. Present indications are that freezing rain rates in excess of 0.05 in/hour will continue as the strengthening forcing for ascent overspreads the region, especially between the I-70 and I-80 corridors across OH.

mcd0185.gif

Edited by Iceresistance
Did not finish
  • LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

Around 7:00, I shall be away from posting for a bit.  Me and my middle daughter will be watching another episode or so of Reacher 🙂

Currently sitting at 33.0 degrees with .20 of rain have fallen since precipitation onset.

• LOVE 1

1 minute ago, RobB said:

Around 7:00, I shall be away from posting for a bit.  Me and my middle daughter will be watching another episode or so of Reacher 🙂

Currently sitting at 33.0 degrees with .20 of rain have fallen since precipitation onset.

Can't get that one back. Really struggling with my little girls growing up. 

• LIKE 1

1 minute ago, beaver56 said:

Can't get that one back. Really struggling with my little girls growing up. 

Our oldest turns 20 in May. Middle daughter turns 18 in June and youngest turns 16 in April. 

• LIKE 1