February 24-26, 2022 | Winter Storm "Livin' on the Edge"

BuckeyeGal

1 minute ago, BuckeyeGal said:

Welcome to the Sphere! And that.. is really sad. 😞

Yeah this has been a tough year relative to averages. MKE and MSN have received 10-15" so far this year. Normal season averages call for 45" by winters end in those locations. 

• DISAPPOINTED 1
  • WOW 1
  • THUMBS DOWN 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Mindlessheep said:

OK, so this is where everyone is now? I have missed the Ohio talk the last two weeks and recognize a lot of names on this thread. Names I really trust

Welcome to the Sphere! Yes, a lot of us have settled here. 

So happy to have found you guys!  I rarely post since I primarily use these types of sites for weather awareness and do not have the same knowledge as you all have.  Just wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate all the work you put in to help educate those such as myself regarding weather.

• LIKE 4
  • THUMBS UP 3

Just now, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Would be pretty petty for ILN not to issue an ISW for that consistent 1-2 County strip in its NW ZONE

Eh, maybe. Per the definition of the requirements, it'll be close since there are marginal temps and the intensity will cut down on accretion rates. But there again enters the debate over whether headlines should be tailored strictly to quantifiable standards or leveraged more to ensure the public is appropriately warned about the storm.

To the latter, there is no material difference between 0.24 and 0.26 of ice accretion, but the difference in those two numbers is the difference between a Winter Weather Advisory and an Ice Storm Warning (for ILN)

• LIKE 2

3 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

All 9 pivotal models with maps, show meeting criteria with flying colors

models-2022022412-f048.zr_acc.us_ov.gif

Keep in mind, those maps are just the QPF, not the accretion.

FRAM maps get closer to expected accretion rates, but even then, the methodology being used for FRAM mapping doesnt necessarily cover off on every nuance to resolve accretion expectations.

Edited by NKYSnowLover

Should have read this before I made that post. They are considering it

"and the most impactful conditions will likely come from freezing rain. There is high confidence in a corridor of accumulating freezing rain in the ILN CWA this evening, primarily between 5PM and 3AM, with the greatest ice accumulations expected on a swath from Wayne County IN through Delaware County OH. There is high confidence in ice amounts of 0.1" to 0.2" in this area. There is a lower-confidence chance that amounts could get to around 0.25", which would indicate ice storm potential. This will continue to be assessed with the rest of the 12Z model suite this morning."

• LIKE 2

33 minutes ago, NKYSnowLover said:

Looking at the latest HRRR, looks like the rain will be making a significant push into OH (beyond I-71) now

CODNEXLAB-FORECAST-2022022414-HRRR-MW-winter-ptype-2-16-100.gif.b34c7e63c0c391ca62e41b171d4ba3f3.gif

Looks a bit bogus to me honestly...It appears to show the SLP right over Cincy in that last frame - I don't think any other model supports that...It won't be until about 18z that the HRRR gets into its sweet spot for what occurs tonight IMHO. 

3 minutes ago, MesoscaleBanding said:

Looks a bit bogus to me honestly...It appears to show the SLP right over Cincy in that last frame - I don't think any other model supports that...It won't be until about 18z that the HRRR gets into its sweet spot for what occurs tonight IMHO. 

Possibly. This is one example, but take a look at the zoomed view of the 12z GFS, except this time with the wind barbs. If you follow the wind barbs, you will find a counterclockwise swirl east of Indianapolis, another near Dayton, and a less defined one SE of Columbus. With a storm where the lowest LP is above 1010mb, there will likely be alot of smaller, weak vortices than one over-powering strong vortex 

image.thumb.png.f1aa9ac19efb39ec0bee99658160f645.png

image.thumb.png.c188737753d2af337a9f560b466b732a.png

• LIKE 1

• Moderators

In looking at the short-rangers in OH, once the precip starts, the farthest north the 32° line makes it the rest of the night is approximately a Dayton to Warren line....or there about.