February 24-26, 2022 | Winter Storm "Livin' on the Edge"

BuckeyeGal

Went advisory I don't blame them with the short range models not really coming to a consensus overnight. They can always upgrade to ice storm warnings when they see where the coldest air and heaviest frz rain are going to set up at. 

• THUMBS UP 1

8 hours ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

Looks like between about 3am and 7 a few areas could wake up to a surprise inch if snow to lay the landscape

That's about exactly what happened too. The one call came from the school at 5:45 announcing a delay for the kids because of it.

• Moderators

I think CLE gives a nice description of what they believe will happen...

A significant mid/upper shortwave trough crossing the Mid Mississippi Valley this evening with swing into the Ohio Valley and lower Great Lakes tonight through Friday morning. An intense near 150 knot H3 jet rounding the base of this shortwave will support a deepening surface low lifting from the western TN Valley this evening through central Ohio tonight and through central New York Friday. Strong warm/moist advection and isentropic ascent from a 40- 50 knot low-level jet over the lower Ohio Valley in response to the aforementioned jet streak will result in a large shield of moderate to heavy precipitation. The latest NAM, RAP, and HREF ensembles have continued the northward jog in the track of this low with the surface low now moving generally across I-70 and the 850 mb low moving over or just north of Lake Erie. This will pull the warm nose farther north, and will also pull it north faster. BUFKIT soundings depict this warm nose developing from south to north this evening (near onset of the steadiest precip). The warm nose is confined to between 850 and 700 mb at first but then deepens after Midnight as it continues to advance north. This supports snow and sleet at the onset changing over to mainly sleet and freezing rain. This idea is supported by HREF P-types which suggest snow/sleet first reaching a line roughly from TOL through FDY and MFD after 21Z, CLE through CAK and YNG after 00Z, and NW PA after 02Z with a change to mainly freezing rain and sleet roughly 3 to 4 hours after onset time. Soundings support a change to plain rain for a few hours overnight as well from Mt Vernon to CAK as the warm air deepens. Outside of these far SE areas, sleet and freezing rain will then dominate much of the night before beginning to change to snow from west to east after 09Z in NW Ohio and after 12Z from CLE to CAK and after 13Z in NW PA as the cold air deepens on the backside of the surface and 850 mb lows. The exception to all of this is far NW Ohio around TOL. They are close enough to the 850 mb low that the warm nose will just barely advect into that area. This means that they will stay mainly snow for the longest period of time, but we still expect some mixing there as well.

Edited by Hiramite

• Admin
1 hour ago, cloudy_jake said:

Went advisory I don't blame them with the short range models not really coming to a consensus overnight. They can always upgrade to ice storm warnings when they see where the coldest air and heaviest frz rain are going to set up at. 

Told my FB weather page that this was likely to happen.. and sure enough lol. 

Lots of ice covered surfaces this morning. Only 2 hour delays around these areas. I'm more concerned that this begins before kids get out of school and it will be treacherous on the way home. Hoping the timing pushes into the evening for this area but im not confident in that.

Edited by Andino
  • LIKE 1

Looking at most recent data including sref temp analysis at airport in Springboro, I have little concern for ice issues.  Nice bump in temperatures shown.  Stay safe to those who are in a more precarious position with precip type issues.

• LIKE 1