February 24-26, 2022 | Winter Storm "Livin' on the Edge"

BuckeyeGal

• Moderators

I don't believe I ever had "The sleet could be heavy at times" in my forecast before. On the up side, a couple inches of sleet would have some nice "staying power" against the late Feb sun.

Snow and sleet, possibly mixed with freezing rain before 2am, then sleet, possibly mixed with freezing rain. The sleet could be heavy at times. Low around 25. Northeast wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of around a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

• LIKE 2
  • THUMBS UP 1

29 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

I don't believe I ever had "The sleet could be heavy at times" in my forecast before. On the up side, a couple inches of sleet would have some nice "staying power" against the late Feb sun.

Snow and sleet, possibly mixed with freezing rain before 2am, then sleet, possibly mixed with freezing rain. The sleet could be heavy at times. Low around 25. Northeast wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of around a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

The last storm with huge potential freezing rain potential for CMH (that never occurred) lead to 14 sustained hours of sleet IMBY. It was impossibly heavy to shovel and turned into concrete ice within a day or two. It took me 4 hours to shovel out three cars. Not fun.

Edited by Blitz

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Blitz said:

The last storm with huge potential freezing rain potential for CMH (that never occurred) lead to 14 sustained hours of sleet IMBY. It was impossibly heavy to shovel and turned into concerete ice within a day or two. It took me 4 hours to shovel out three cars. Not fun.

Wow, how many inches did you end up with?

I've considered that aspect.  I'll just have to be ready with the plow.  I'd rather have IP over ZR....at least I'll be able to stand up.  The winter sun doesn't hit my tree "shaded" drive so ice is a problem as well.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

I haven't seen this verbiage in my personal forecast in quite some time

Screenshot_20220223-195138_Chrome Beta.jpg

Ummm, I think its Frank Barone time!

I think they need to change that to "freezing rain can be heavy at times".  (Has anyone ever had that verbiage??)

• THUMBS UP 2

1 minute ago, Hiramite said:

Wow, how many inches did you end up with?

I've considered that aspect.  I'll just have to be ready with the plow.  I'd rather have IP over ZR....at least I'll be able to stand up.  The winter sun doesn't hit my tree "shaded" drive so ice is a problem as well.

I think we ended up with probably 4 or 5 inches of granular sleet/ice. That's a guess. I drove to NY the next day to go skiing, where they got 13 inches of snow. But there's still some spots out there where it hasn't melted yet. It took a metal grain shovel to move it. Snow shovels, at least the plastic ones I had, were insufficient.

• SHOCKED 1

6 minutes ago, Ohiobuckeye45 said:

I haven't seen this verbiage in my personal forecast in quite some time

Screenshot_20220223-195138_Chrome Beta.jpg

Less than 24 hours from showtime....NWS grid forecast throwing out severe icing totals - would be one of the most significant zR events we've had in the past decade...and not even an advisory issued yet? I don't get it. At this point, there's zero doubt we're dealing with at least an advisory event north of I-70, so...

holy-crap-holy-smokes.gif

Edited by MesoscaleBanding
  • THUMBS UP 3
  • LOVE 1

I've recently made the Kuchera Ratio Calculation on the snowfall.

I picked out 2 Major Cities as good examples (Champaign, Illinois & Toledo, Ohio) for this calculation.

The 18z GEFS has 4 inches of snow on the 10:1 Ratio for Champaign & 4.3 inches for Toledo, but the QPF is only .42 inches (Rounded to .4) in Champaign & .48 (Rounded to .5) inches in Toledo

Let's start with Toledo, since .5 inch is 1/2 of 1 inch, we can simply Multiply 4.3 by 2 & get 8.6 inches, The basic Snowfall Ratio is 10:1, which means 10 inches of snow equals 1 inch of liquid water. The Snowfall Ratio for Toledo, Ohio is 8.6:1, which means a wet snowfall event.

Now, it's the ratio calculation for Champaign, Illinois, .4 inches (4/10 inches of 1 inch) & since 4 inches is 4/10 for 10 inches, we can quickly round it up to 1 inch for 10 inches, the Snowfall Ratio is 10:1 in Champaign, Illinois, which means it's a typical snowfall event.

• LIKE 2