March 29-31, 2022 | Severe Weather, a second outbreak with more than 70 Tornadoes confirmed

Iceresistance

• Meteorologist
8 minutes ago, Ingyball said:

Looks like we were able to talk SPC into a severe watch. Could see a couple of QLCS tors here, but we didn't think that warranted a tor watch

I was wondering about that. Low-level moisture seems pretty pathetic right now. I would've been confused if there was a tornado watch.

• LIKE 1

• Meteorologist

Tonight is all severe tstorm watches so far... tomorrow is gonna be all tornado watches.

Probably will get some tornado watches this evening when the squall starts up and stronger moisture arrives in Oklahoma/Texas.

image.png.42cffdc998ff1a2b232dd0ac424dd8ae.png

Edited by ClicheVortex2014

Earlier today the HRRR was showing the storms splitting me and I only getting a couple showers. So far that looks to be the case unless those cells to the west can blow up pretty quickly. I've seen it happen many times before so I'm not giving up hope yet. Or maybe something can develop behind this first round closer to the dryline.

EDIT: 1z HRRR has it blowing up right over me so we'll see which version verifies 

Edited by OKwx_2001

• Meteorologist

From Wichita

I watched a documentary on lightning and there are 'lightning chasers' who would travel to a part of South America that's known to be the lightning capital of the world trying to capture lightning like this. This dude just hit the jackpot from home.

• SHOCKED 1
  • WOW 6

• Meteorologist
1 hour ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

A little concerning that ARW and NSSL both have a more semi-discrete storm mode for S MS

floop-hrwarw-2022033000.refcmp.us_se.gif

floop-hrwnssl-2022033000.refcmp.us_se.gif

I worry when that line starts going more SE than E-W across the deep south. Will probably have better crossover situation and it is unfortunate as that seems to be going into the evening hours. For sure best tornado prone area is from about central MS/AL and south of there including Eastern Louisiana again. Another area to watch is Central IL/IN to about KY/TN border this region will be under some intense lifting with the trough going negative around them into the evening on Wednesday. Really looks like quite the wind setup though. Was chatting with a fellow met they believe this is similar in idea to 4/4/11 across the area. Probably not nearly as widespread but still impactful.

• LIKE 1

27 minutes ago, OKwx_2001 said:

Starting to see some potential for some spin ups in that leading cell east of Slaughterville (what a name) 

it does have a warning, but several miles east of that

* Until 1145 PM CDT.

* At 1119 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a
  tornado was located over Brooksville, moving northeast at 30 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

• Meteorologist
22 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

I worry when that line starts going more SE than E-W across the deep south. Will probably have better crossover situation and it is unfortunate as that seems to be going into the evening hours. For sure best tornado prone area is from about central MS/AL and south of there including Eastern Louisiana again. Another area to watch is Central IL/IN to about KY/TN border this region will be under some intense lifting with the trough going negative around them into the evening on Wednesday. Really looks like quite the wind setup though. Was chatting with a fellow met they believe this is similar in idea to 4/4/11 across the area. Probably not nearly as widespread but still impactful.

4/4 is basically untouchable as far as Southern US squalls go, but depending on how overdone GFS is with the warm sector wind gusts, there might be widespread power outages from the Gulf to Lake Erie.

image.thumb.png.5685962407a713b4c423e56a53ebe2fa.png

• Meteorologist

HRRR is getting into the juicy part of tomorrow. Definitely got a LEWP. Not as dramatic/large-scale as 4/19/11, but it's definitely there on a more local scale which could be worse.

image.thumb.png.ca2378ca32109bff26cee33ca59f6162.png

image.thumb.png.37d1284b3637937ee6819d3ae7d76848.png

image.thumb.png.9768b45f2af46c2bc919f4211f3533b8.png

• Meteorologist
8 minutes ago, ClicheVortex2014 said:

4/4 is basically untouchable as far as Southern US squalls go, but depending on how overdone GFS is with the warm sector wind gusts, there might be widespread power outages from the Gulf to Lake Erie.

image.thumb.png.5685962407a713b4c423e56a53ebe2fa.png

Yea 4/4 had a full longitudinal trough to work with. This is overall messy in setup but still packing a punch in a localized sense rather than widespread. Here is the reference for those wondering. 500mb included for afternoon/evening of 4/4

110404_rpts.gif

500_110405_00.gif

Edited by so_whats_happening
  • LIKE 1