Sun Activity | Auroras

MaineJay

• Admin
21 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

Full on space insanity. I've never seen anything like this and it's quite amazing. running a time lapse on my camera while taking a few shots with my phone.

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_1246.jpeg

This has exceeded 2003 for me. Though I was further south in a more urban area for that one.

• LOVE 1

• Admin

On a sidenote, did anyone catch a meteor north north east at 9:55:55?

It was the brightest meteor I've ever seen. really low in the sky.

• WOW 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

I think this is one we will all remember. 

Edit: the biggest difference from all the other events that I've seen is that the brightest lights are actually coming from the west and even the south for me. So it's a 360° experience.  

Yeah, a lot directly overhead here.

• LIKE 1

I'm seeing some pictures on Twitter of the northern lights all the way down at the Gulf of Mexico.  It seems this solar storm was an overperformer.

• SHOCKED 1
  • TROPHY 1

I found this on X.  This is on the Atlantic Side.  Earlier I saw a picture from the Gulf in Alabama.  I won't be surprised if we see a picture from Cuba at some point.

image.thumb.png.7bbe464963d7872d16574fce5a2b4685.png

• LIKE 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

They love it. They are "celestially" spoiled already. 

We’ll be expecting a new avatar drawing tomorrow.

• LAUGH 1

11 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

Cool stuff. ( Ignore my pressure washer pic, lol.)

IMG_7348.jpeg

The real question is is the pressure washer ready for the job you need it to do 😂😂

• THUMBS UP 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mainiac said:

Edit: the biggest difference from all the other events that I've seen is that the brightest lights are actually coming from the west and even the south for me. So it's a 360° experience.  

The eclipse and now this.  What a bummer.  This upsets me more than the eclipse. Once in a lifetime event.

Edited by Rush

7 hours ago, Mainiac said:

I will remember it as being yet another example of not having a view of a spectacular event due to clouds! 

3 hours ago, Rush said:

The eclipse and now this.  What a bummer.  This upsets me more than the eclipse. Once in a lifetime event.

Oh well, at least I got to see some of the eclipse

Thanks to all who submitted their pics so I can live vicariously. I guess I will have to break down and book that trip to Iceland my wife's been buggin about. I'm gonna try to go for the 26 eclipse - I'm thinking of going out on a charter so as to see it over the ocean 🙂 

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 1

• Admin

I didn't take as many pictures as I had hoped.  Partly because I ended up doing long exposures, so I screwed myself.  Still happy, but shouldn't tried more high ISO shorter exposure. 

Experience is the best teacher.

Fish eye lens looking straight up, no post processing.

DSC_0255.JPG

DSC_0245.JPG

DSC_0238.JPG

DSC_0235.JPG

DSC00912.JPG

• LIKE 2
  • LOVE 2

46 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

I didn't take as many pictures as I had hoped.  Partly because I ended up doing long exposures, so I screwed myself.  Still happy, but shouldn't tried more high ISO shorter exposure. 

Experience is the best teacher.

Fish eye lens looking straight up, no post processing.

DSC_0255.JPG

DSC_0245.JPG

DSC_0238.JPG

DSC_0235.JPG

DSC00912.JPG

Nice shots.  I was disappointed with my shots both times I had the opportunity to photograph the northern lights.  Hard to practice on something so rare.

• LIKE 1

18 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

I haven't even looked at any pictures I took with my cameras yet.

Pretty big X class flare last night.  

Active sun. 

current_c3small.gif.1cc499a9697288154c8cc24175c629f2.gif

I read that maybe tonight is good viewing? Ima gonna tryta talk the wife into going to Shenandoah Parkway tonight for a stay over - maybe I'll get "lucky" - well one out of two wouldn't be a bad thing - amiright? 😉 

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I read that maybe tonight is good viewing? Ima gonna tryta talk the wife into going to Shenandoah Parkway tonight for a stay over - maybe I'll get "lucky" - well one out of two wouldn't be a bad thing - amiright? 😉 

Kp is still almost 9. I'm certainly holding hope for continued storming.  The sun belched out quite a bit, and these things are so hard to predict.  

40 minutes ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

I'm going to watch things today.  May drive towards Western MD or even down to Spruce Knobb after dinner tonight.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

Just now, Rush said:

I'm going to watch things today.  May drive towards Western MD or even down to Spruce Knobb after dinner tonight.

image.thumb.png.4e7a2f014c5ad5eb77da849dcf3038e1.png

The grid forecast has this for W VA/MD - looks kinda hopeful 

• LIKE 1

We were mostly cloudy last night but I did see the reddish sky when the clouds would open.  It wasn't awe inspiring but it was enough to say I saw the northern lights in VT.  It seems it was quite the show in some of the southern states.

Has anyone heard of any electronic damage from last night's storm?  I didn't find any crashed satellites in my front yard this morning.