Sun Activity | Auroras

MaineJay

• Admin
1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Bz at -39!  Sun can't get down fast enough. Still 75% clouds, but I think they'll dissipate somewhat.

Lol, jinxed it, hopefully it crashes again, skies cleared a bunch. 

Screenshot_20240510-181237.thumb.png.ade3b2134e1f719161b639b542ad921f.png

latest(3).thumb.jpg.cc42aab1c3520b80c795a4e8395d75fe.jpg

• WOW 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheRex said:

What is "3 phase power"?

Electric power is transported in 3 phases each running 120V .  When you look up at power lines you always see 3 main cables.  Each one is a leg of 120V.   Most homes only require 240(almost everything runs off 120 except the large appliances).   

Large motors take even more power, so all 3 120V are feed into it.  When you have sustained voltage irregularities is causes the motor to not run properly and damage it, if left unchecked.   That's why all my motors have phase monitors hooked up to them.   I'm alerted if the voltage gets screwy and I'll shut it down until I can diagnose the issue.

Edited by Hail_On_Me
  • THANKS 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MaineJay said:

I saw that there was X5.9 flare, for perspective, the October 2003 storm was 20 or more. So because the scale is logarithmic, the 2003 flares were roughly 1,00,000,000,000,000 times stronger. 

The Carrington event probably adds another 30 zeros.

Agree.

Careful.  Not all flares produce a CME and it is the CME that creates the Geomagnetic storms, not the flares themselves.   You can't measure the storm by the strength of the flare.  I'm not saying that's the case as the 2003 storm was a G5 storm and destroyed almost half of our satellites at the time, but you get what I'm saying. 

Edited by Hail_On_Me
  • THUMBS UP 1

3 hours ago, Rush said:

I just meant the main stream media.  Not anything posted in here.  Like this:Screenshot_20240510-173234.thumb.png.6e1960d00073521c8b573fa99e943764.png

I was reading the attachment  I was thinking "whaaaaaaa?:

Then I got to the bottom line and thought "oh". 

The northern light forecast has me in the red but we have clouds.  It looks like it is clearer to our north so I may take a little drive later.  It would be really cool to see the northern lights and a total solar eclipse within 5 weeks of each other.

image.thumb.png.8270eb4a4395641ce19fe92acec8cc5a.png

• LIKE 1

5 minutes ago, MaineJay said:

Another phone one.

PXL_20240511_014530645.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.907936c65d1bb2d30d42078d255caf56.jpg

Awesome!!!  Are your kids enjoying it?  This has been quite an exciting spring for them with a total eclipse, getting to tour the hurricane plane and now seeing the northern lights.

• Admin

Full on space insanity. I've never seen anything like this and it's quite amazing. running a time lapse on my camera while taking a few shots with my phone.

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_1246.jpeg

• LOVE 5

• Admin
25 minutes ago, TheRex said:

Awesome!!!  Are your kids enjoying it?  This has been quite an exciting spring for them with a total eclipse, getting to tour the hurricane plane and now seeing the northern lights.

They love it. They are "celestially" spoiled already. 

• LOVE 2

My mom just sent me a picture of the northern lights from Alabama.   Crazy night!!!!

• LIKE 3

Visible with the naked eye in northeast Ohio. Here in Youngstown in a residential neighborhood mind you. I see why people travel to Greenland and Alaska and stuff to see them! Simply beautiful. 

IMG_4523.jpeg

IMG_4525.jpeg

IMG_4529.jpeg

IMG_4530.jpeg

IMG_4531.jpeg

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 2

• Admin

I think this is one we will all remember. 

Edit: the biggest difference from all the other events that I've seen is that the brightest lights are actually coming from the west and even the south for me. So it's a 360° experience.  

• THUMBS UP 1