Sun Activity | Auroras

MaineJay

9 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

Monster X5 Solar Flare to end 2023

download (2).png

According to NASA and NOAA model, the CME will graze our planet Jan. 2nd, bringing a chance of G2-class geomagnetic storms. CME impact alerts

So it will be cloudy in my area in Jan. 2nd.  Its always cloudy in my area every time a CME hits earth. :classic_angry:

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
10 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

X6 Solar Flare (Top image is from a Discord server that I found there)

X6 Solar Flare.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-22 165758.png

As we had towards the equinox, we should start to  open up some cracks in the earth's magnetic field. 

• LIKE 2

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
10 hours ago, Rush said:

@MaineJaybig solar storm right now.  KP8 a few hours ago.  Not sure if it will come back this evening.

The ocean storm spread clouds into my neighborhood, so even if they were dancing, I probably would've been corrected clouded out.  This is the time of year though, so I should pay more attention.

• SAD 1

• 1 month later...

Seems like as good a place to post this as any but recently read a story by Kathryn Schultz in the New Yorker (4-mar-24) on space weather (the sun) and more specifically solar storms and the potential for disastrous consequences of a G5/Carrington event on the electrical grid, communications, etc. Sobering read. 

I thought I recognized the name and Schultz wrote a similar story on the next big earthquake to come (and potential consequences) in the Pacific NW back in 2015 in the same magazine. Good stuff.

• LIKE 1

• 2 weeks later...

Noaa forecasting a Severe G4 event with a max kp of 8.

I operate an Ice rink and I'm going to make sure all my compressors are offline overnight.   Call me paranoid but the forecast model looks ugly AF and something I have never seen before.

2CJDYGKRLFEKTBGQJAVTWU3ULU.png

• LIKE 3

• Admin

Tomorrow night looks to perhaps be clearer up here.  Gonna make sure the drone is charged, and cameras are ready. 

StMnAtObMEcsk.thumb.gif.1119987c3a278c07dd6d6f74a100c839.gif

Apparently, the last G4 warning was 2005, the last G5 storm was October 2003.  Probably the other most amazing celestial event I've witnessed, along with the eclipse. 

• LOVE 1

1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Tomorrow night looks to perhaps be clearer up here.  Gonna make sure the drone is charged, and cameras are ready. 

StMnAtObMEcsk.thumb.gif.1119987c3a278c07dd6d6f74a100c839.gif

Apparently, the last G4 warning was 2005, the last G5 storm was October 2003.  Probably the other most amazing celestial event I've witnessed, along with the eclipse. 

I was I NH at school for the 2003 storm.  My friends and I drove about 30min away from campus and it was one of the greatest things I have ever witnessed.  Colors dancing around the sky for hours.

• LIKE 1

I got this from the NOAA space weather page but not sure what it means.

image.png.86733b2a2508ee018c20a38f79434e71.png

To prepare for a snow storm I make sure to gas up the snowblower and summer storms I make sure the chain saw will crank.  I'm not sure what to do for solar storms.

• LIKE 1

27 minutes ago, TheRex said:

To prepare for a snow storm I make sure to gas up the snowblower and summer storms I make sure the chain saw will crank.  I'm not sure what to do for solar storms.

You're not alone. Unplug things? Plan on the power being out? That New Yorker story I mentioned above is called "Starburst". If we get a top end G5/Carrington event, no one seems to know how to prepare for that level solar storm or what it will do because we haven't had one in a hundred years. It suggested the possibility of the grid being down, worst case, for 2+ years (transformers are mostly custom built and not in the USA).

45 minutes ago, BossaNova said:

You're not alone. Unplug things? Plan on the power being out? That New Yorker story I mentioned above is called "Starburst". If we get a top end G5/Carrington event, no one seems to know how to prepare for that level solar storm or what it will do because we haven't had one in a hundred years. It suggested the possibility of the grid being down, worst case, for 2+ years (transformers are mostly custom built and not in the USA).

I'm wondering if I should power down all my electronics before it reaches earth.  I'm kinda flying blind here.

7 minutes ago, TheRex said:

NOAA just updated their K Index.  Not sure what this means either.

image.png.e302b1d908b574321f812af7bedcad74.png

Crazy it's already a KP8.  I am so bummed it's cloudy.

This won't impact the grid or anything.  All sensationalist click bait.

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

13 minutes ago, TheRex said:

I'm wondering if I should power down all my electronics before it reaches earth.  I'm kinda flying blind here.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you are operating anything that uses 3 phase power.  Voltage irregularities can destroy motors and starters.   

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Rush said:

Bummed on the cloud cover too, but it may clear before sunrise.   

My only concern is that the first CME came in a little stronger than expected and we are already at kp8.  It's going to get very interesting when next 2 arrive this evening.

Edited by Hail_On_Me

40 minutes ago, Hail_On_Me said:

I wouldn't worry too much unless you are operating anything that uses 3 phase power.  Voltage irregularities can destroy motors and starters.   

What is "3 phase power"?

• Admin
1 hour ago, TheRex said:

I saw that there was X5.9 flare, for perspective, the October 2003 storm was 20 or more. So because the scale is logarithmic, the 2003 flares were roughly 1,00,000,000,000,000 times stronger. 

The Carrington event probably adds another 30 zeros.

1 hour ago, Rush said:

Agree.

• LIKE 1
  • THANKS 1

2 hours ago, Rush said:

I haven't seen anything sensationalist thus far. My comments were about "the big one" which this is no where near. Definitely going outside for a looksie after dark though.

• LIKE 1

16 minutes ago, BossaNova said:

I haven't seen anything sensationalist thus far. My comments were about "the big one" which this is no where near. Definitely going outside for a looksie after dark though.

I just meant the main stream media.  Not anything posted in here.  Like this:Screenshot_20240510-173234.thumb.png.6e1960d00073521c8b573fa99e943764.png

• LAUGH 2