Sun Activity | Auroras

MaineJay

7 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

I don't know anything about this stuff, so I checked but couldn't find if the Kp or Bz is better than another for predicting auroras.  I suspect they are both "tools" to use.  Does anyone know if one index is more reliable than the other?

(I downloaded the Aurora app a few weeks ago and received notices yesterday.  Didn't even attempt to look with all the clouds here.  It appears that it uses the Kp.) 

This has all the metrics with live updates.  I have no idea what most of it means.

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/

Also good, https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

Best I could do of my house last night.

20230423-DSC03617-HDR-Edit.thumb.jpg.b16a6309c969fd167d0f633e715a59aa.jpg

• THANKS 1
  • LOVE 3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Rush said:

This has all the metrics with live updates.  I have no idea what most of it means.

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/

Also good, https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

Best I could do of my house last night.

Good stuff, thanks for the links.

We were typing at the same time so I don't know if you saw my reply to myself on the last page...

image.png.df17705c9e241346614d6e919d05e245.png

• LIKE 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MaineJay said:

Might have clear skies and somenam3km_cfractot_neus_18.thumb.png.2b83d05d56c41dbd4c5c817111f3543d.png geomagnetic storming tonight up this way.

Moonrise just before midnight.  After that it'll be tough.  

• LIKE 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I finally had the time to dig through my photos and this is my favorite taken with a Mir-1 37mm f2.8. The real challenge was the moon, and all that light, but thankfully there was a cloud.

LumixSync_copy_2023-04-24 02:06:26 +0000JpegFile.jpg

Edit: Spherical aberration is definitely pronounced with these old Soviet lenses. 

• LIKE 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 9/19/2023 at 1:51 PM, Rush said:

Apparently there was a kp7 and it was visible all the way into Virginia last night.  I moved to a new phone and forgot to update my app.  So I missed it 

What KP level do you set your app to notify you?  (Is the default 7?...I just reduced mine to 5.)

But so many clouds this week.  It's been awhile and will be awhile until I see clear skies again.

• Admin
9 hours ago, Hiramite said:

What KP level do you set your app to notify you?  (Is the default 7?...I just reduced mine to 5.)

But so many clouds this week.  It's been awhile and will be awhile until I see clear skies again.

Under the right conditions, I think some cameras could pick up 5 at you latitude, though I don't know your level of light pollution.

Do you have a tripod?  What's the latest  (lowest number) f stop your camera goes to?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MaineJay said:

Under the right conditions, I think some cameras could pick up 5 at you latitude, though I don't know your level of light pollution.

Do you have a tripod?  What's the latest  (lowest number) f stop your camera goes to?

So it sounds like I’m too far south to see a 5?  And how reliable are these forecasts, i.e., can a 5 turn out to be a 6 or 7?

Tripod:  yep 

f 2.8 

Light pollution:  (I can barely see the Milky Way on a clear night.)

SQM  20.65 mag./arc sec2
Brightness  0.593 mcd/m2
Artif. bright.  422 μcd/m2
Ratio. 2.47
Bortle class 4
Edited by Hiramite

On 12/3/2023 at 8:15 AM, Hiramite said:

I leave it at 7.  I think it needs to be 8 to be truly naked eye here with the light pollution.  

• THANKS 1

1 hour ago, Iceresistance said:

X2.8 Solar Flare just happened

download(7).thumb.png.13d98aa4db1b72269841e15b50ef0329.png

Was just going to post this.

STRONGEST FLARE OF THE CURRENT SOLAR CYCLE: Sunspot 3514 erupted on Dec. 14th (1702 UT), producing a strong X2.8-class solar flare. This is the strongest flare of Solar Cycle 25 (so far) and the most powerful eruption the sun has produced since the great storms of Sept. 2017. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded the extreme ultraviolet flash:

x3_teal_anim2_strip_CROP_STRIP.gif

Radiation from the flare has caused a deep shortwave radio blackout over the Americas: blackout map. Ham radio operators may have noticed loss of signal at all frequencies below 30 MHz for more than 30 minutes after the flare.

It's too soon to know for sure, but this explosion probably launched a fast coronal mass ejection (CME) with an Earth-directed component. The US Air Force is reporting a Type II solar radio burst, which typically comes from the leading edge of a CME. Based on the drift rate of the radio burst, the emerging CME's velocity could exceed 2100 km/s (4.7 million mph).