Sun Activity | Auroras

MaineJay

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, clm said:

Love that map.  How did you get to it?

You expect me to remember last week?? :classic_laugh:

It was in an article I ran across.  My apologies for not posting the link.  I’ll do a quick check and see if I can find it.

• LAUGH 1

10 minutes ago, Hiramite said:

You expect me to remember last week?? :classic_laugh:

It was in an article I ran across.  My apologies for not posting the link.  I’ll do a quick check and see if I can find it.

Well at least I didn't ask you to remember your name.  😁

Thanks!

• LAUGH 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, clm said:

Well at least I didn't ask you to remember your name.  😁

Thanks!

Much obliged!

The map says “space weather watch” on the bottom right but no luck for me in finding that website or map.

Edited by Hiramite
  • THANKS 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
7 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

X1 Solar Flare in the past few days.

Last few days have been very active. I'm dying for a shot to get the drone up and see if it can pick them up.  Hoping tonight is active, and clear.

Screenshot_20221004-062003.thumb.png.2b0cf59f28977aff3cba0b0795b8f233.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 6:23 AM, MaineJay said:

Last few days have been very active. I'm dying for a shot to get the drone up and see if it can pick them up.  Hoping tonight is active, and clear.

Screenshot_20221004-062003.thumb.png.2b0cf59f28977aff3cba0b0795b8f233.png

I've always wanted to see them.  But never have.  Even the trip I took up through Canada, back in the 80's, going through Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, I never saw them.

• Admin
1 hour ago, clm said:

I've always wanted to see them.  But never have.  Even the trip I took up through Canada, back in the 80's, going through Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, I never saw them.

I'll never forget Halloween 2003, a couple days before was the last huge solar storm. I remember getting home from work and looking up and the sky was aglow. Vibrant reds were the dominant color. I wasn't in a rural area either, Dover, NH, in town. I understand that about half of the satellites at the time were rendered useless.  It'll be interesting to see what happens the next time it happens, as we are infinitely more dependant on satellites than 20 years ago. Hopefully it wouldn't least to a Kessler Syndrome scenario.

I think the last time I saw them was 2013 or 14, I'll have to check the time stamps on my photos.

• LOVE 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
23 hours ago, Rush said:

On top of Mt. Washington on a clear night, nothing to block your view.

Here, was cloudy and rainy.  Can't get snow, can't see the northern lights.  I want a refund.

Was watching this forecast last night.  They were much stronger than what is being predicted now.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-30-minute-forecast

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 5:48 AM, MaineJay said:

I'm so bummed.

Would have loved to been In Iceland the last few nights.  Everytime I've gone up near the Arctic it's been weak displays.

• LIKE 1