Sun Activity | Auroras

MaineJay

So - We did not see any meteors nor aurora last night. 

However, we did see Starlinks satellite tain for the first time. We got home and I looked into how many of those critters there are and where they were/are. Yowser!

• LIKE 2

• Admin

It's actually turning out to be quite impressive and I suspect with its position on the horizon for me that it should be viewable quite a ways south.

• LIKE 1

• Admin

I only had my iPhone on hand unfortunately but I did try to capture some of what I was viewing, which was spectacular.  This was easily one of the most vibrant and viewable aurora that I've seen here in Northern Maine only being upstaged by the May events.

IMG_2033.thumb.jpeg.942e05a4d0293542957ece5f8f96cafa.jpeg

I know the video is of horrendous quality but I figured I would include it because it at least gives an idea of what it actually looks like in camera. Obviously the ISO is through the roof. However it does offer a fairly realistic view of what it looks like outside on a night like tonight with the naked eye. Just much much worse and pixelated.

• LOVE 1

• Admin

I did not get a lot of pink last night so I'm kind of excited. It was mostly a green event.

IMG_0581.thumb.jpeg.ea8b80aa6b2a112b9dbc87d66187a989.jpeg

Mark I eyeball reports that the auroral oval goes further south at this time.

• LIKE 1

On 8/17/2024 at 6:00 PM, MaineJay said:

So pissed I'm missed this, had the kids out for the Perseids, and they got tired, as did dad...

I  know the feeling.  I missed it too.  I don't recall if I had clear skies for it in my area, but it was one of those times where I remembered during the middle of the day and then by the time I got home I forgot all about it due to other things going on.

• LIKE 1

• 3 weeks later...