Sun Activity | Auroras

MaineJay

• Admin
29 minutes ago, TheRex said:

We were mostly cloudy last night but I did see the reddish sky when the clouds would open.  It wasn't awe inspiring but it was enough to say I saw the northern lights in VT.  It seems it was quite the show in some of the southern states.

Has anyone heard of any electronic damage from last night's storm?  I didn't find any crashed satellites in my front yard this morning.

It's possible that we hear in the future that some satellites were affected.  Geosynchronous ones are so high that the earths magnetic field can't always protect them in these storms, so those are somewhat susceptible, though newer ones likely have shielding of some kind. 

Low Earth orbit, like the starlink ones, may have encountered some increased drag too I believe, due to the way geomagnetic storms expand the atmosphere.  So hearing about some of these needing to be de-orbited wouldn't be a huge surprise, as this happens on occasion.

• THANKS 1

• Admin

Another X class. 1.5 this time. The 5.8 last night had a CME and expected to arrive tomorrow some time.  

Hopefully we get more shots.

23 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

KP index currently at 8.67. What we need is another eclipse...but right now, lol. 

1 hour ago, TheRex said:

We were mostly cloudy last night but I did see the reddish sky when the clouds would open.  It wasn't awe inspiring but it was enough to say I saw the northern lights in VT.  It seems it was quite the show in some of the southern states.

Has anyone heard of any electronic damage from last night's storm?  I didn't find any crashed satellites in my front yard this morning.

My wife said one of the cats woke her up at 3 a.m. and she looked our our BR patio windows and thought the sky "looked reddish". 

23 minutes ago, Mainiac said:

KP index currently at 8.67. What we need is another eclipse...but right now, lol. 

Not that we're greedy or anything... (ha ha) 

• LAUGH 2

• Admin

From SIDC

Latest Alerts

Presto 2024-05-11

Geomagnetic conditions reached extreme storm levels (K_Bel=9) locally over Belgium from 11:00 UTC to 12:00 UTC on May 11, and it is currently at major storm levels (K_Bel=7). Major to extreme storm levels are expected to continue in the coming days.

https://www.sidc.be/

• LIKE 1
  • LOVE 1

2 hours ago, Undertakerson2.0 said:

Secondary line/ area of H7 moisture needs to dissipate (spawned tornado warning to the SE of Pgh) 

image.thumb.png.5f81bd8e806b6c2b1ded22de846e6a86.png

Tornado warning near Hancock right now.  That's where I was going to drive if the solar activity looked better.  

• Admin

There is but a minor glimpse of color in the distance. The cloud shelf has finally pushed through and the radiational cooling is distinct, with the temperature now falling rapidly.

IMG_1284.thumb.jpeg.e80a9510ef6099b778f2f470ded0c311.jpeg

• LIKE 1

2 hours ago, Rush said:

The next two CMEs should reach earth midday today.  Hoping for tonight.

My problem with Aurora is that they only happen at night LOL. Even I am amazed at how quickly my energy fades once the sun disappears. 

We had some breaks around 9 last night - the moon smiled it's quarter phase at us and some stars even came out. Alas, the clouds were too much (and I was too wiped out from day long yard chores, to travel)

Give me a good day time event - like a solar eclipse! 😁

• LIKE 3