March 9-10, 2022 | Winter Storm

MaineJay

10 minutes ago, HVSNOWSTORM said:

How long has it been snowing there now?

Eh, that's like 1.5 - 2 hours worth.. so definitely averaging 0.5-1"/hr.. right now probably higher than 1"/hr. Best of the day.

• LIKE 1

So at my house at 1500' elevation we have near a half inch and sticking to roads. Once you go down into the lower elevator valleys like ellenville, it's just wet and only sticking to grass areas. So will need a heavy burst to get accumulations going on the roads in the lower elevations. Which still very well could happen.

1 minute ago, Bradjl2009 said:

Just measured 3.25" here in Pittsburgh. Wow what an over performer. It's still snowing but it seems like the temperature has crept up a little above freezing now, so the bulk of the accumulation is likely done.

Wow, what an over performer. I had zero expectations and had the plow come.  GFS was the only model that had us consistently snow for today.  So I discarded it. Lets hope for more of the same Saturday.

• LIKE 1

Major fail NWS..

National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA 720 AM EST Wed Mar 9 2022 .SYNOPSIS... Rain and snow will gradually taper by tonight, with high pressure returning dry weather through Friday. Accumulating snowfall should blanket the region Friday night into Saturday with a crossing cold front. && .NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/... Recent radar imagery suggests rain and snow overspreading the region this morning as persistent shortwave activity in warm, swly flow plagues the region on the van of a broad, digging central Plains trough. BUFKIT soundings and initial data from the KPIT sounding suggest a relatively warm boundary layer; and with sfc temperature in the 30s across the region, accumulating snowfall should be hindered even with the passage of an 850mb trough later this morning. Cold advection in veering nwly wind should then reinforce mid-level colder air, maintaining snow or rain/snow chances through the duration of the event. However; the aforementioned, mild boundary layer should minimize snowfall accumulation potential, with perhaps inch or so in the highest elevations.

fail.JPG

Edited by Pghsnow
  • LAUGH 1

15 minutes ago, Bradjl2009 said:

Just measured 3.25" here in Pittsburgh. Wow what an over performer. It's still snowing but it seems like the temperature has crept up a little above freezing now, so the bulk of the accumulation is likely done.

2.2" here and the radar looks like some stupid heavy snow is on its way. 4" within reach I believe.

33 degrees

Screenshot_20220309-110301_MyRadar.jpg

• LIKE 1
  • THUMBS UP 1

14 minutes ago, Pghsnow said:

Major fail NWS..

National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA 720 AM EST Wed Mar 9 2022 .SYNOPSIS... Rain and snow will gradually taper by tonight, with high pressure returning dry weather through Friday. Accumulating snowfall should blanket the region Friday night into Saturday with a crossing cold front. && .NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/... Recent radar imagery suggests rain and snow overspreading the region this morning as persistent shortwave activity in warm, swly flow plagues the region on the van of a broad, digging central Plains trough. BUFKIT soundings and initial data from the KPIT sounding suggest a relatively warm boundary layer; and with sfc temperature in the 30s across the region, accumulating snowfall should be hindered even with the passage of an 850mb trough later this morning. Cold advection in veering nwly wind should then reinforce mid-level colder air, maintaining snow or rain/snow chances through the duration of the event. However; the aforementioned, mild boundary layer should minimize snowfall accumulation potential, with perhaps inch or so in the highest elevations.

fail.JPG

Wow lol, yeah they were way off. I was feeling a little hopeful when I went to bed because the temperature was 33 with a dew point of 23. This has been a pretty good winter for the GFS. I like where it shows things at the moment for the weekend, as if there's a west shift as there often is, we have a lot of wiggle room still

• LIKE 1

8 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

2.2" here and the radar looks like some stupid heavy snow is on its way. 4" within reach I believe.

33 degrees

Screenshot_20220309-110301_MyRadar.jpg

Enjoy! It's still coming down here and looks like it should for another hour, but I don't think that much more will really accumulate. 

8 minutes ago, Pghsnow said:

Really ripping again. Everytime I think we are pretty much done heavy returns pop up. 

radar.JPG

Yep, we are in the rip zone again for 30 or so minutes.. should get us over 3" on my noon measure.

• LOVE 1

We lost momentum on accums. Temp up to 35. Just measured 2.4", so only an additional 0.2" since 11am. We'll see how it goes the next few hours, but looks like we've maxed out here in the valley.

• DISAPPOINTED 2

5 minutes ago, Burr said:

Enjoying a rainy day with some snowflakes mixing in from time to time!  First daffodils in the garden ready to bloom

D556EEE0-C337-43AC-993E-04D401AC92DA.jpeg

Daffodils are first to come up at the slightest bit of warmth.  Nice early bloom

• THUMBS UP 1
  • LOVE 1

This morning's low temperature was 23ºF and as the morning progressed the temperature did make it to 32ºF.  It started to lightly snow here about an hour ago and has since increased in intensity with a corresponding drop in temperature to the present 28ºF.  The snow is accumulating on all surfaces excepting the pre-treated road surfaces.

Edited by jbrumberg
  • LIKE 1