March 9-10, 2022 | Winter Storm

MaineJay

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, JDClapper said:

I dunno.. getting that feeling of downplaying because it was warm recently, the sun, and it's March, only to see the evening news folks be like, "well that was a surprise!"

🤷‍♂️

It's seems like a longer duration event, light snow most of the time over 12 hours with marginal temps.  When it's lighter snow, it may not stick to surfaces exposed to the sun, particularly pavement. When it's heavier, it could accumulate on roads.  That's all the news cares about anyway, the roads.  

9 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

It's seems like a longer duration event, light snow most of the time over 12 hours with marginal temps.  When it's lighter snow, it may not stick to surfaces exposed to the sun, particularly pavement. When it's heavier, it could accumulate on roads.  That's all the news cares about anyway, the roads.  

Good point.

• Admin
2 hours ago, StretchCT said:

Exactly. Not to mention, this time of year the sun angle actually 'eats' about 1/2" hr. So, one inch an hr leads to a half inch an hr per day (of course, as the snow accumulates I'm various areas, this starts to reverse due to a colder surface. 

Likewise, blacktop - even though clouds and precip - absorbs the uv rays of the sun pretty well. This allows for blacktop to be rather warm through the event. So unless we get a good heavy burst of snow to really whiten the ground up - I don't see this being anything more than mood snow, even if it does accumulate on the grass. 

All the other models are pointing to 1" or 1.something" but the NAM is going for 6 inches.  I think its about time we start testing the models for steroids just like they do in sports.  NAM definitely on something for the past few runs.

image.png.ec2143d4ccebe1e4fe600e72592291c9.png

• Meteorologist

Temps are still rather warm across the area. 46/25 at BWI right now back at home upper 30's with dews in the low 20's. Wet bulb down here should yield rain mix toward the PA/MD border and probably manage just snow up toward home. Temps will still be way too warm for many areas to accumulate on the road around I 95. Allentown and NW should manage to have some slushy roads northern NJ and CT. While temps are cooler along LI and NYC area they may struggle to accumulate much on roads given time of day will be hard for more than wet roads. If they manage 1" per hours rates plus then it could start to create some slush on side roads and ramps.

Widespread 1-3" still in play NW of 95 in the mid atlantic and north of PA/MD border but advisories highlight the areas where accums could be upwards of 3-5" and road issues. Elevation starting to become key again for snow potential as we get closer to equinox.

• LIKE 2

• Meteorologist

Skew T at 00z shows quite a bit of dry air aloft so temps in the upper levels should still be rather supportive of white rain for a bit south of PA/MD overnight again should not accum much. May end up almost all snow in locations NW of 95 and north of PA/MD.

IAD (1).gif

• LIKE 2

• Meteorologist
2 minutes ago, StretchCT said:

SREF trend

trend-srefens-2022030821-f030.sn10_acc-mean-imp.us_ne.gif.edf6b94a7419ab0a9c2a98c025afe820.gif

Latest NAM

533274382_snku_acc.us_ne(1).thumb.png.edb8f07e699537a006032fa0f28c9435.png

FV3

803179887_snku_acc.us_ne(2).thumb.png.646325bdfaf38a904f72cf25c44c11ef.png

Looks like it took a little south jog on the last run. It will be really telling of what rates look like. Who knows may have some small surprises in the areas south of the advisory.

• Meteorologist
1 minute ago, MDBlueridge said:

1600' for this one

Surprised sterling didn't throw some advisories out that way but I guess it is really nothing new lol

State college always forgets about Lanc and york area since Mt holly and Sterling don't want us.

• LAUGH 1

2 minutes ago, so_whats_happening said:

Surprised sterling didn't throw some advisories out that way but I guess it is really nothing new lol

State college always forgets about Lanc and york area since Mt holly and Sterling don't want us.

Wont be surprised if we go with the classic Sterling HWO to WSW lol 

Happens a couple times a year in washington, allegheny, and garrett counties along the ridges 

• THUMBS UP 1

• The title was changed to March 9-10, 2022 | Winter Storm